Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any advice to help a 10 year old speak more clearly?

(6 Posts)
sphil Thu 20-Oct-11 12:48:02

Ds1 is 10 and has dyspraxia. He has a wide vocabulary and many many ideas, some of which are quite complex. He loves to talk and is confident when speaking. The problem is that his speech can be quite indistinct at times, both in terms of production and organisation. He often speaks very quickly, mumbles and 'swallows' words at the beginning and end of a sentence. The volume of his voice varies, so even if he starts speaking loudly, he can end up dropping his voice so much it's hard to hear. His sentences are sometimes quite muddled - sometimes because he assumes you know what he's talking about, so doesnt give context, sometimes because he struggles to find the right word or expression, and sometimes because he goes around the houses for ages before getting to the point. He also starts a sentences, abandons it, starts another etc. It's much worse when he's tired.

At the moment I am finding that I have to ask him to repeat about half of what he says, either because I can't hear it distinctly, or because I don't understand what he's talking about. He gets very frustrated ( and I do sometimes get impatient, which I know doesnt help). We have tried getting him to slow down, to think about what he wants to say before he says it, and this works when he repeats himself, but he doesn't remember (or can't do it) the next time.

Any ideas to help him? It has an impact on his relationships, because children aren't as patient and tend just to say 'What?' or walk off.

sphil Thu 20-Oct-11 18:44:58

bump for evening crowd

sphil Thu 20-Oct-11 22:12:05

no- one?

feynman Fri 21-Oct-11 19:44:58

Has he ever seen a speech and language therapist? It might be an idea to give your local therapists a ring. I know theyt are always really busy but you can self refer and should get an appointment. However, is he aware of his speech difficulties/their impact on others? Do you think it's that he can't make his speech clear or that he isn't bothered about doing so?

feynman Fri 21-Oct-11 19:48:08

Sorry I meant to say my son and brother are both dyspraxic and the both have oral/verbal dyspraxia. Both have/are seeing speech therapists. My son is improving slowly.

sphil Fri 21-Oct-11 19:54:59

I dont think he'd have a chance in this area. My younger son, who has autism and severe speech delay, only sees a SLT about once a term. He doesnt have a diagnosis of verbal dyspraxia and school dont see his speech as a problem - to be fair I think he makes a real effort to speak more clearly there and is better when he can think through an answer first, rather than when he is speaking more spontaneously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now