Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Behaviour Statement?????

(8 Posts)
XxAlisonxX Thu 20-Oct-11 11:10:53

does anyone know ov or have exerience ov a SEN Behaviour Statement. iv been told by the sen that my son requires assessing for this and not a educational statement, is the process the same, im a bit lost on this cause cant find much info on it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 20-Oct-11 11:21:47

Who told you this exactly?. A statement can be issued for social/communication difficulties as well as general learning difficulties (is this what they actually meant?).

A statement is a statement regardless; I would make the initial application to the LEA if you have not already done so.

ACE, SOSSEN and IPSEA are all very good when it comes to the minefield that is the statementing process.

XxAlisonxX Thu 20-Oct-11 11:33:49

i know the normal statement process, and the application is already in the works but the woman from the sen office said that he requires a special behaviour statement because he doesnt have any learning difficulties. it could be the social/ communication im not sure

wasuup3000 Thu 20-Oct-11 12:50:34

Never heard of it. They are not tring to get you to sign a behaviour contract which is a different thing altogether?

Pagwatch Thu 20-Oct-11 12:59:48

My son has a sheet which details everything that might be useful for a new teacher, or new contact to know.

It includes his speech difficulties, things he likes and situations he finds difficult.

Are they creating something like this?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 20-Oct-11 13:13:29

"but the woman from the sen office said that he requires a special behaviour statement because he doesnt have any learning difficulties"

Really?. This lot are having a laugh but its not at all funny.

I am also wondering if they want you to actually sign a behaviour contract which is entirely different. Do NOT sign any such document without seeking advice from one of the charities out there like ACE, IPSEA, SOSSEN etc.

bigbluebus Thu 20-Oct-11 15:20:26

My DS has a statement because of his behaviour. It is just a standard statement granted by the LA. It lists the extra help he needs because of his behaviour and some help with social skills. He has no other learning disabilities - in fact he is in top set for every subject at GCSE. But his behaviour was a very big barrier to his learning and to the learning of others in his class when he misbehaved. Hence why it was felt he needed 1-1.

lechillycornsilk Thu 20-Oct-11 21:10:48

Has he already been assessed to make sure that he has no underlying learning/medical difficulties?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now