Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Deferring Reception Pro's and Con's please

(11 Posts)
spiritsam Wed 19-Oct-11 17:36:04

Ok i am thinking ahead my DD does not start until next Sep and i am just starting out on the Statement process but i had someone mention to me about deferring and it had popped up in my mind . DD has s and l delay , learning disabilities , poss a.d.h.d , autistic traits , significant sensory issues , very challenging behaviour . She is just starting to play and interact with children . Whilst she has made some progress it really hit home today looking at a school and seeing Reception children playing on a pc drawing and their conversations e.t.c . I have to be realistic and think how little she may have come on in a years time . Also she is still in pull ups with loose bowel problems . GDD is current dx but she has deletion of chromosome 22 come up on bloods and am guessing dx will change when see Geneticist on Dec 13th . Sorry for going on x

mishymashy Wed 19-Oct-11 22:47:07

Hiya, we are facing the same sort of concerns for our DS who also starts school next Sept. We have met the school senco already, as DS is linked with the nursery, so they are aware of his needs and will need to reapply for funding.
They have already said that his transition into school can be at his own pace. If he cant cope with full days or the full week, then we can arrange to drop hours as it suits until he is ready. They would prefer it if we didnt defer as he is settling within his peer group for the first time which is a huge relief. The irony of it all is that he might not even get offered a place at this school because its over subscribed so could all be irreleventconfused
Have you spoken to your DDs school to see how flexible they will be? Will it be mainstream? I know how you feel about watching other children chatting, it really does hit home.
Dh wants to defer but i'm going to try the schools flexi approach first. I havent told him yetgrin

bee169 Wed 19-Oct-11 23:17:55

Hi, I am also in the same boat. Ds (ASD) is far behind his peers due to severe s&l delay and has not started to interact yet. We are currently going through the statementing process (which has been the most long and drawn out process I have ever seen) but looking at ds I am not sure if he will be ready in sept '12. Fingers crossed we get something decent from his statement. If not we are completely stuffed sad

IndigoBell Thu 20-Oct-11 10:24:25

If your child is going to go to a SS or a unit I wouldn't delay.

MS is less clear cut.

Also, you may not be able to delay even if you want to..... (It's up to each individual LEA. Some let you, some don't)

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Oct-11 10:51:40

Techically, your child doesn't have to start school until the term after their 5th birthday so you can delay until then without anyone's agreement and still hold onto your school place.

It is what we have done.

spiritsam Thu 20-Oct-11 12:24:22

My god it's a worry . Am hoping to get DD into MS , have looked at 3 schools in area only one may be suitable . 2 more to look at , one of which is oversubscribed for next Sep the other is 30 in a class which i feel is too large for DD and would be total overload .Am getting letter off for assessment for statement in next week . If it's not in place for next Sep she will struggle immensely .
starlight my dd's bday falls end of May so she would be 5 just before Sep 2013 . So if i did delay for a year next Sep the school would have to keep her place for year 1 ?
mishy Flexible sounds good smile I am so in two minds at the minute but having look round last 2 schools after halfterm . Nearest SS is about 45 drives away which would be fun in winter and not really thought about looking round it .
Hi bee how long has you statement been in process ? I know that 1-1 funding is changing or stopping ?
indigobell So i may not have that option anyway ? Oh god sad
Thanks all for replying x

starfishmummy Thu 20-Oct-11 13:20:17

We tried to do this for ds, who had a place in our local mainstream school. I dont wish to be too negative, as I know that in some cases it does work; but we hit a total brick wall with the school/LA.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 20-Oct-11 13:30:32

spirit, no, the latest the school would have to keep a place is until the start of the summer term of reception. DOn't ask me why. There seems to be a rule about carrying over the entitlement to the next academic year.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 20-Oct-11 13:54:01

If you can get the 'experts' (EP preferably) to specify in the statement that your DD should defer a year, that would be your best bet. Schools have to take your child if it's named on the statement even if full, unless they argue that it would be to the detriment of other children's education or not be financially viable. I think deferring a year if you can possibly arrange it is generally A Good Thing. In some cases that extra year gives the child a chance to keep up with their peers, socially and academically. (Though to be honest it works best for DC who aren't too far behind. If your DD is going to remain significantly behind her peers an extra year might only give you an advantage for a short time, but even that short advantage may be worth it.)

Most LAs are very reluctant to defer without a statement. It causes all sorts of legal problems as you cannot have a place if another child of the 'right' age wants it. But if you can get the professionals to agree, and have it written in to the statement, I'd go for it. May is quite young in the year anyway. If you can find a great school that isn't over subscribed, there is more room for manoeuvre.

bee169 Thu 20-Oct-11 18:49:02

Hi Spirit,

I have been in the process for nearly a year now and we are still only in the request phase. The portage advisor has been delaying getting back to me.
I have been told that statements are like golddust because of the budget and apparently the LA have had 80 applications for statement over the summer holidays alone.

Hi Starlight- Quick question- If I delayed my son's entry into reception what would he have access to? Would he stay at nursery? or would he have to be at home?

spiritsam Thu 20-Oct-11 19:03:32

Hi bee child can stay at Nursery until the term after 5th birthday i think , as after talking to Nursery my dd could have extra year there x My god a year ? If DD has no statement in place in a few months i wil be deferring her there is no way she would manage or be safe at Reception without one .
Hi ellen thanks for your info that's really helpful x
Hi starfish bless you , it's not easy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now