Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

At Last LEA Will Assess

(3 Posts)
time4chocolate Tue 18-Oct-11 15:20:00

Hello All,

Have posted on Special Educational Needs but meant to post here as I know that this section gets more traffic.

Our LEA has at last decided to assess DS1 (ASD aged 10)and, although we are pleased/relieved to have made it over this hurdle, it does clearly state in the pack that they have sent to us that following an assessment he may still be turned down for a statement. Has anyone had any experience/know anyone that was turned down at this stage. The thought of having to go back to square one fills me with dread!

coff33pot Tue 18-Oct-11 16:14:42

I havent had one turned down but you dont have to go back to square one, you can appeal their decision if they decided to refuse a statement. I would just send as much information as you can to support this application.

Glad they have agreed to assess smile

AgnesDiPesto Tue 18-Oct-11 16:35:15

it hasn't happened to us but yes you can get a note in lieu of a statement which sets out the provision your child should get below the level of a statement - this can be useful in making it very clear to schools what they should providing; but from a parental perspective its unenforceable if the school does not follow it, so chocolate teapot scenario really.

Get your own copy of the SEN Code of Practice. You can get a free copy sent to you - really useful to have your own copy. You can download it but being able to take a copy to meetings etc is useful - makes it look as though you mean business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now