Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Children's books/stories about epilepsy...Are there any?

(5 Posts)
zippytiptoes Tue 18-Oct-11 11:19:10

Can anyone suggest any books I could buy for my older daughter? Our 2.5 yr old has got epilepsy and her behaviour is really erratic, seizures, hair pulling, biting etc. It's really hard for our five yr old to understand and although we try and explain, I feel it sometimes just seems as though we're making excuses for her. A book which describes epilepsy would be really useful. Any ideas?

zippytiptoes Tue 18-Oct-11 11:58:16

I've just managed to look some books up and have found one for young children called 'Lee, The Rabbit with Epilepsy' and another called 'Dotty the dalmation has epilepsy' but they are really expensive on Amazon. I wondered if anyone had a copy we could borrow and return?

chuckeyegg Tue 18-Oct-11 13:07:41

Have you looked on here sometimes I can get obscure books cheaper through them.

x

crazymum53 Wed 19-Oct-11 15:36:10

I seem to remember borrowing a book from my local library on Epilepsy. It covered what happens in a seizure and explained that there is nothing to be scared of when this happens.
Will have a hunt on the library catalogue and see if I can find out what it is called.

crazymum53 Wed 19-Oct-11 15:41:59

The book is called "What does it mean to have epilepsy?" and is by Louise Spilsbury it is a factual book and is aimed at primary school aged children. It is part of a series and also covers other conditions such as diabetes, autism etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now