Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'sticky' threads

(21 Posts)
MangoMonster Mon 17-Oct-11 19:29:18

Does anyone think we should have a few threads that are always visible for things like statementing, therapies, professional recommendations, how to her a diagnosis, generic testing, useful links to research papers etc etc?

Other sites do this and I think it could be helpful to retain some of the brilliant advice people post on topics which appear frequently.

I've seen so many excellent posts recently which are hard to find for an newbie who are the ones that generally need them. Maybe an infidel rooms thread too, where we all write a bit about ourselves.

I forget things easily and it would be great to be able to get to know eachother better with something like that.

MangoMonster Mon 17-Oct-11 19:30:46

Not infidel rooms, auto correct on phone is the bane of my posts... Introductions...

tabulahrasa Mon 17-Oct-11 19:34:20

Aw, I liked infidel...

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 17-Oct-11 19:34:49

I did wonder!

There's a 'useful Mumsnet stuff' section on the right --->> and down a bit that's supposed to cover all the regularly asked stuff, but most people seem to prefer to ask their own specific questions about their own circumstances. 'Tis tricky.

MangoMonster Mon 17-Oct-11 19:37:47

The useful mumsnet stuff is quite general though isn't it. It is tricky, do feel for posters who write really well thought out advice and it's lost eventually.

IndigoBell Mon 17-Oct-11 21:12:04

I do get sick of constantly repeating myself smile

And would like sticky threads like you suggest.

coff33pot Mon 17-Oct-11 21:15:08

Yes sticky threads would be a good idea. As sometimes I know I have seen the same question somewhere down the line with some real good advice, but can never find them and so you tend to repeat for the sake of repeating!

MangoMonster Mon 17-Oct-11 21:29:03

Well, if there's enough support, I'll take it to the site stuff area. I really think some of the more experienced posters have lots to give that could be really useful as a starting point for new people.

tryingtokeepintune Tue 18-Oct-11 00:14:48

I think it is a good idea.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Tue 18-Oct-11 06:11:41

I agree

golemmings Sun 23-Oct-11 19:29:59

Special needs acronyms would be useful too. I struggle to follow posts in this section, being new to this bit of the site. If this already exists then cam someone tell me where?

unpa1dcar3r Sun 23-Oct-11 22:08:32

I have a question.
Can I be a 'sticky infidel?' wink

Mango my laptop is the same, some of the words that come out of it are hilarious and I don't realise til after I've posted!

I think we use SEN (oops there's one) acronyms already Gol
Like ASD/AS/IEP etc...or in my case FXS! (Fragile X syndrome)

BabeRuthless Sun 23-Oct-11 22:13:44

I agree 100%. Diagnosis is a tough enough process and you get swamped with so much info. Also with dla getting tougher and tougher to get awarded we all need all the help we can get.

signandsmile Mon 24-Oct-11 08:12:15

unpa1d you sticky infidel! LOL, grin

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 24-Oct-11 08:37:34

golemmings, we don't have a separate acronym list over here, although I think it would be good idea smile feel free to ask about anything you can't figure out. Welcome to the board smile

<steps away from a sticky unpaid> grin

dev9aug Mon 24-Oct-11 15:36:09

I second that.. I have been going through old posts the last few days and I think I have barely scratched the surface in terms of how much information is stored in these posts, so some 'sticky' posts would be very appreciated.

joooly Mon 24-Oct-11 17:57:21

would be brilliant!

MangoMonster Mon 24-Oct-11 20:11:23

Any more support or anyone think it's a bad idea before I take it to site stuff? I desperately need a list of acronyms too. So much I don't understand!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Oct-11 20:20:13

I'm not against them, but the sticky threads would be huge in number, and who gets to regulate what is accurate information or 'good' advice.

I think the benefit of these boards is in the debate and discussion. I also think that actually, as desperate as you are in the beginning to find and retain information, it really is repeated often and people remember and link when you have a question. I think the learning curve is quite steep and people don't need to be afraid of missing things. As they go through their own particular journey the answers will always be here. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Oct-11 20:21:10

Perhaps a MN SN Classics section? You know, where the issues are properly debated to a quality standard etc.?

MangoMonster Mon 24-Oct-11 20:43:25

Agree maybe a classics section would work better.

starlight how would we do that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now