Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does this sound reasonable?

(10 Posts)
used2bthin Mon 17-Oct-11 13:41:21

DD had an MRI of her brain last tuesday to look for structural abnormalities or anything else relevant to her various issues.

I am obviously quite anxious to get the results-especially as the geneticist will run tests for metabolic conditions if it is normal so not even sure what to hope for.

Anyway they said ring if we hadn't heard in a week but I work wed-fri and thought they are bound to call when I am at work. So I rang today and asked if there was any way they could ring me before wed. No call back yet. They are possibly thinking go away pushy woman and wait your turn though! The secretary did say oh they usually write with results but the ward definately said they would call. I bet I still don't hear till I'm at work.

purplewerepidj Mon 17-Oct-11 13:45:13

They're more likely to think you're a worried Mum than a pushy woman - make sure you treat them politely and with respect and it should be reflected back at you wink

I'd prewarn your boss if you think they'll be at all sympathetic - you'll want a few minutes to yourself to absorb the news smile

used2bthin Mon 17-Oct-11 13:51:34

My boss is very sympathetic but this year I have had constant appointments and been worried about various results since April. If they ring wed morning I will be running a group and won't be able to talk . Maybe a letter would have been easier in some ways but it is horrible getting bad news on paper. Just hate this waiting business and this department are very unclear-they said oh the results will be in next day. But obviously they must have meant to them not that they would be analysed by then.

purplewerepidj Mon 17-Oct-11 13:58:14

Maybe phone again, or see if you can make an appointment to discuss the results? Either with the consultant or your GP <ignorant emoticon>

wine

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Mon 17-Oct-11 15:23:51

it won't be they are thinking go away, but secretary will have to see the relevant doctor, and pass the message on to them, and the doctor may (or may not) have time to do it before Wednesday, depending on what clinics etc are on, whether he has immediate access to your DD's notes etc (he might want to review them). Nothing wrong with asking politely, people should understand that you are anxious waiting for test results.

unpa1dcar3r Mon 17-Oct-11 17:51:38

The thing is as well is they do this type of thing all the time and don't have the emergency rush to deliver the news good or bad...whereas you're sat there chewing your fingers to the bone cos you're her mum!
Hope you get the results soon and hope it's good news for you.

used2bthin Mon 17-Oct-11 20:14:12

Thanks for the replies. Yes thats it its my dd's whole life hanging in the balance to me-the chance we could know a reason for her difficulties, the hope that it could be good news (here havesome meds they will make her NT-I know realistically it won't happen but its the desperate what if dream!) and then the real fear that it will be very very bad news-the neurologist did say they aren't looking for tumours but you know, this kind of test could be massive news. or could just be no further on its just impossible to know.

Not heard back yet and am obsessively phone and post checking. Going to ring again tomorrow just on the off chance if I don't hear by midday. The thought of taking this news or worse still missing a call at work is horrible. And happens so often-just last week I had my call back from the geneticist whilset at work and had to try and discuss the possibility of future children subtley as a colleague was nearby (am early stages of pregnancy but didn't want anyone to over hear me) and too many times I have to talk about chromosome results or blood tests or eeg or ecg results whilst in my car outside work then go back in and behave normally. Sorry not ranting at anything in particular its just hard and must appear frustrating for work since I only work three days a week-they must think why can't you get appointments and calls in your two days at home!

purplewerepidj Mon 17-Oct-11 20:16:12

wine

Sorry that's the most constructive thing I can offer sad

used2bthin Mon 17-Oct-11 20:32:41

ah thansk was just having a moan really. Am glad it doesn't sound like I will be seen as a total nightmare for ringing and asking though.

used2bthin Wed 19-Oct-11 20:07:13

Hi no moaning I promise! Just wondered how long any one else has had to wait for MRI results/

i rang our usual consultats secretary today to ask if there was any way of knowing how long ish because I will stop phone checking if its going to be a while. She said she was surprised they said a week as usually its longer.

The neurologist said the results would be in next day but obviously didn't mention that that meant to him, not analysed and report written.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now