Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what happens at a PDA/ASD assessment??

(5 Posts)
onwardandupwards Mon 17-Oct-11 00:10:17

My ds (6) has finally got a date for assessment for ASD especially PDA. I do not know what to expect or what will happen. I am a single parent and his dad wants nothing to do with him so am just going on my own with ds. Will tell ds we are going as he gets very aggressive and cannot stand doing/ going any where different. Please help if anyone can, all i have is a letter with a date and time on, no clue what will happen!

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Mon 17-Oct-11 16:41:18

exact procedure varies from area to area, so I would phone up if it's not obvious from the letter to check if it's just going to be one doctor, or several professionals there in addition to the paediatrician. Whatever the format, you'll be asked for all sorts of information about DS's behaviour/development, including qs about the pregnancy and birth. And the doctor and/or other professionals will be interested in how he's managing at school, how he communicates/plays and is likely to get him to draw and do some simple puzzles to look at how he's doing cognitively. I haven't been through a PDA assessment so can't comment on anything relating specificially to PDA.

It's possible the doctor may want your DS to have some blood tests, but it's unlikely there will be much of a physical examination/investigation of him.

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Mon 17-Oct-11 16:41:53

any blood tests wouldn't be at that appointment anyway, would be at a later date btw.

onwardandupwards Mon 17-Oct-11 21:22:45

Thank you!

brandy77 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:36:34

agree with pumpkin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now