Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can someone please advise re IEPs?

(5 Posts)
MotherJack Sat 15-Oct-11 12:21:42

School have just presented me with my son's IEP. We had a meeting a couple of weeks ago and they have just given me a copy. They have already apparently discussed it with my son so he understands what is expected of him, but not discussed it with me first, which I am a bit hmm about.

I'm also a bit non-plussed by it's content which comes under the following headings:

Things I find difficult
My targets
What I need to do
Who's going to help me and when

To give an example, he struggles to line up with other children. Various factors come into play here as to why he probably finds it difficult and when we spoke a couple of weeks ago they were going to avoid him lining up by sending him ahead to do a "task", the task being his target and what he needs to do is "carry it out sensibly". To me, this should not be in his IEP as it is not teaching him to cope with lining up.

The other ones under the headings above are:

Working next to other children when I need to concentrate
I choose to work on my own when I need to concentrate (i.e. he has to go and sit on a table on his own)
Choose the best place to sit to concentrate and complete my work
Mrs "X" using direction card

Following instructions straight away
Use prompt cards to follow my teacheers instructions
Follow my teachers instructions straight away
Mrs "X"

There seems to be rather a lot of emphasis on his behaviour and little help demonstrated from them to me. Plus I feel that they are not actually helping him as they seem to be making him avoid the things he finds difficult.

Am I missing the point here? I'd be grateful for a bit of input if you have any advice or opinion as I want to go and talk to them next week about it. I'm afraid I won't be able to respond straight away as I have just moved house and have no internet connection so am just getting on other peoples computers as and when I can.

Thank you smile

IndigoBell Sat 15-Oct-11 15:46:43

Um, this is a very standard IEP. Exactly what my 2s look like......

MotherJack Mon 17-Oct-11 15:19:26

Thanks Indigo smile

Bit disappointing really, then. I anticipated more from an IEP after reading the NAS website on IEPs and I also felt that he was being excluded in 2 of the targets which won't help him overcome the actual problems (i.e. made to work on a table alone and sent ahead to avoid the queuing issues).

Ahh well!

IndigoBell Mon 17-Oct-11 15:21:44

Well, I didn't say you shouldn't try to improve it smile

Just that, this is a fairly std IEP which most schools will start with.

Work out what you want it to say - but keep their headings and format - and then propose it back to them.

MotherJack Fri 21-Oct-11 13:01:05

Woohoo!!! I have an internet connection again!!!!

Thanks - I didn't know I could do that.... Do they have to accept the re-draft or can they just bin it and do what they want anyway??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now