Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone know if you can employ someone under 18 using direct payments?

(11 Posts)
sphil Fri 14-Oct-11 18:20:33

That's it really. Have found a fab student who we want to employ to play with DS2 for an hour after school every day (I will always be in the house). But I've suddenly had a worrying thought that we won't be able to pay her out of DPs because she's 17. Anyone know?

keepingupwiththejoneses Fri 14-Oct-11 18:29:36

Simple answer is no. The direct payments worker must be over 18.

sphil Fri 14-Oct-11 18:52:47

Bugger. Have just been looking on our county's info page and cant see anything that states this. Could it be different from one area to another ?[hopeful emoticon]

kennythekangaroo Fri 14-Oct-11 18:56:44

Our DP worker turned 18 last month and has worked with us for a year, nobody has questioned it.

sphil Fri 14-Oct-11 19:07:39

How do you do the paperwork Kenny? She obviously wont pay tax ( or I dont think she will?)

LaydeeC Fri 14-Oct-11 21:33:52

I wasn't aware that there was an age stipulation. Unless it is contained in the insurance that you have to take out. I don't think I have read that it is in the policy though but would happily be corrected as I'm too tired to dig out the paperwork and look.
I think whether she pays tax depends on what she already does and if she has an income. I thought everyone paid tax (even children) if they have an income above the taxable allowance.

keepingupwiththejoneses Fri 14-Oct-11 23:37:53

My ddirect payments advisor specificly told me that they must be over 18 and it is in the paper work, but maybe that is just my LA.

17 in my LA..

saintlyjimjams Sat 15-Oct-11 13:25:05

We did without any problems. Infect the dp agency introduced us.

saintlyjimjams Sat 15-Oct-11 13:26:44

The tax should be sorted through the payroll people. None of my current workers pay tax as none earn enough. I just have to remember to fill in nil returns for the tax office (I usually forget tbh).

sphil Sat 15-Oct-11 22:39:09

I think it will be OK - she doesnt have any other job and so won't pay tax. Fingers crossed as i think she'd going to be great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now