Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Attention Games

(11 Posts)
bee169 Fri 14-Oct-11 17:30:12

Just looking for some advice really.

My ds 3.8 (ASD with severe speech delay) has real problems with attention and can opt out of everything so quickly - even when we have reinforcers that he loves. I can't even assess what he knows and doesn't know because I cannot get his attention for any decent length of time. When he does attend he shows some really nice skills but getting that attention is a nightmare. confused

Any ideas would be really appreciated!!

ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Sat 15-Oct-11 13:11:34

My DD is same age and has ASD traits tho no dx and the advice we have been given all the way through is to go with the child. Ie if you think its time for a certain activity but your ds has other ideas, go with him and reinforce all the language as you go. example from my experience with dd "ok so you dont want to do colouring, lets get dolly then, no you want a book" until they settle on something however fleeting, just keep on and hope that somewhere along the line its sinking in for them. I have often followed my dd around the house on a quest to she what she wants to do. She must think Im bonkers! smile Also (obviously Im sure you do anyway), make sure there are no distractions like the tv. SALT once told me of a person who she had to actually ask to turn the tv off when she arrived for a home session !!shock

lisad123 Sat 15-Oct-11 13:16:40

not sure if you are anywhere near herts, but know they can provide home systems at cost.
The basics is that the PC games dont work unless you are concentrating!! its great smile

here

bee169 Sat 15-Oct-11 21:05:25

Thank you both !!

Anicecup- I see what you mean as we are always having a battle of will's. I usually end up asking him to do something small to end the saga on my terms but I make a bee line for the kettle immediately after!! brew

lisad- I am near herts so am really interested in this link- Thanks again grin

lisad123 Sat 15-Oct-11 21:08:10

If your near herts, they have a base at st Albans and stevenage. They work with your child weekly around these games, they are great! grin

Marne Sat 15-Oct-11 21:14:02

Some of the first activities we did wit dd2 were skittles, puzzles and then eventually (after lots of hard work) we got her playing some of the 'orchard games', basic taking in turn games. We used to use bubbles to get her attention as her mind would often wonder (as soon as she moved away i would blow bubbles and she would return and eventually engage in whatever we were trying to do with her).

FauxFox Sun 16-Oct-11 08:18:21

A little game we used to get DS to attend to your face more was the "sight line treasure hunt". Basically you hide a choc button or crisp under a cup and mix up two cups then look at the one with the food under it (eyes only not head direction) and the child follows your sight line to uncover and win the treat. Start with the cups far away from each other (other side of the room) and get more subtle as he gets the hang of it.

bee169 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:23:45

Thanks Marne and Fauxfox

Marne- Did your dd always return for the bubbles or did you need to move onto something else? My ds used to love them but is not so interested anymore. Will def try more orchard games -they are so good wink

Fauxfox- that games sounds good. Did you mix the cups in front of him and move the cups to other side of the room? Was he watching the whole thing? or did he know that a treat was under a cup and he needs to follow where you are looking? smile

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 17-Oct-11 19:43:57

Got to recommend More than Words by Hanen. Great for helping you to find out what your DS is focussed on.

Marne Mon 17-Oct-11 21:22:50

Bubbles have always worked well for dd2 as well as food smile Also try games that offer a reward, Dd2 likes 'greedy gorillas' (orchard games) as the gorilla makes a noise (which she likes) when you feed it the cards.

FauxFox Mon 17-Oct-11 21:25:26

Yes show her first so she is motivated but after the first one when she knows there will be a treat be secretive so she has to look to you for the clue to pick the right one. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now