Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Prompt dependency wrt signing

(17 Posts)
MangoMonster Thu 13-Oct-11 19:49:14

has anyone experienced this? How did you overcome it?

DS has been learning signing with hand over hand prompts from behind. However, he has mastered the sign for food, but instead of doing it, he is looking for someone to help him do the sign rather than doing it himself. There's usually two of us, one with the food, infront of him and one behind doing the prompt. He looks or grabs the person behind to help him sign.

Any ideas?

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 19:30:54

Bumping this, although I understand it's quite a specific topic...

moondog Fri 14-Oct-11 19:41:40

Fade the prompt as you should with all prompts.
So if it was hand over hand initially, make physical support less over time.

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 19:49:27

Thanks moondog, how do I do that, when he is physically taking my hand to do the prompt and won't do the sign alone (although he can do it). Sorry I'm a newbie at this.

moondog Fri 14-Oct-11 19:53:08

Well, you could merely touch his hands next few times.
Then fade it to a gesture towards his hands.
Meanwhile get the neticer to really bring the food nearer him so then his urge to ask for it and ghet it will be stronger than his urge to have the prompt.

It's a very relevant question-you are astute to be thinking of these things.
I'd strongly recommend this book if you are someone who thinks onb these lines.

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Oct-11 19:55:33

do turn taking as a game.

have a plate of whatever he lurves - choc buttons/ raisins/ grapes? on a surface in between you - and then you make the sign, then eat one. gesture for his turn and feed him/ let him take one if he makes the sign.

it's a bit pavlovian, but it might give him the confidence to have a go?

we were quite, um, robust, when it came to encouraging dd2 to communicate...

you could introduce 'more'? as well grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Oct-11 19:56:26

x post

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Oct-11 19:58:46

that book looks really funny, moondog. i'm a bit blush at having mentioned pavlov now! grin clearly a woman after my own heart.

moondog Fri 14-Oct-11 20:03:51

Mad woman, this sort of stuff is at the heart of Behaviourism, the contribution of the wonderful B F Skinner after the work by the great Pavlov.
It's a fun gentle intro. to this stuff.

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 20:04:03

Thanks moondog will get that. The book looks ?? But I'll have a look...

Thanks madwoman, I think turn taking could definitely help!

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 20:05:59

moondog sounds like it could help my relationship with dp and my ridiculously naughty cats too! Lol, thanks, I can see your point.

moondog Fri 14-Oct-11 20:08:26

MM,it helps with everything.
Believe me. smile

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Oct-11 20:16:20

oh, now look what you've gone and done. i'm going to have to go and google now, and my amazon habit was just getting under control <sigh> grin

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 20:25:46

My amazon habit has been out of contplaring for too long! It's so easy to click, click, click, oh I've spent quite a lot blush ...

MangoMonster Fri 14-Oct-11 20:26:20

Control not that word my phone made up.

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Oct-11 20:28:00

grin

MangoMonster Mon 24-Oct-11 20:26:41

moondog, just wanted to say you were right! We strews fading the prompts and the dependency has reduced, now signing for biscuit, raisin, book and ball. Plus madwoman, taking it turns seems to have worked too! Thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now