Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bedwetting 7 yrs old

(14 Posts)
purplemurple Thu 13-Oct-11 11:51:00

DS is 7 (AS) I left potty training until he was three because he wasn't ready. when I did start him day and night he got it straight away and didn't have any accidents. However within a couple of months he would bed wet occasionally.

He is now 7 going on 8 and still bedwetting, I don't make a big deal out of it and so it doesn't bother him. He can go for weeks without wetting and then might wet every night for a week. Basically there is no pattern to it.

Is it worth going to the docs for the spray? as he isn't wetting all the time and it isn't bothering him.

ihatecbeebies Thu 13-Oct-11 11:56:37

Have you tried a star chart to reward him for staying dry at nights? I do this with my AS 4 yr old along with pyjama pants and it works quite well, it might work for your DS?

squidworth Thu 13-Oct-11 11:59:24

My hfa son bed wet till he was 11, although he did get better from 9 years onwards I just used the tablets for school trips and bought the waterproof mattress from Argos and bed time pants. It was not that my son could help bed wetting as he just did not have control. I put it down to weak bladder muscles the same as his motor skills.

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-11 14:50:52

Purple, I have just replied on your other thread about the bullying etc.

My ds also wet the bed until late last year. In his case, it stopped when we removed gluten from his diet, but it occasionally returns when he is particularly stressed, anxious or overtired even now.

I'd agree with squidworth, in that I think its just to do with developing control - much like the fine motor and other motor skills issue and not something he is in control of himself, iyswim.

If its not bothering him, just keep on doing what you're doing, not making a big deal out of it. It sounds like he's going through enough at the moment, and trying to address this at this point in time is just going to give him something else to be anxious about.

ihatecbeebies Thu 13-Oct-11 16:49:32

How old is your son Moose?

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-11 19:38:13

He's 9 now ihatecbeebies. Its very rare for him to wet at night these days and when/if he does, its only a tiny bit, not a flood, so is much easier to deal with.

purplemurple Fri 14-Oct-11 08:35:12

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to leave it for the moment. He isn't wetting every night and is chilled about it unlike most other things.

ihatecbeebies Fri 14-Oct-11 08:56:26

My 4yr DS with ASD wets the bed, he used to do it almost every night but since I started the star chart it only happens once or twice a week blush I hadn't even considered that it could be due to him having autism.

unpa1dcar3r Fri 14-Oct-11 09:20:23

Hi Purple
My youngest DS (SLD) still bed wets, he's 13 this month. No rhyme or reason to it.
Have you tried Desmomelts from his paediatrician? They don't work on my DS but they work on some kids.
They kind of let the bladder fill up before needing to go IYKWIM...with mine it just meant he did a more massive wee when his bladder was full!
But I still get up and take him to the loo through the night. have you tried this? Tiresome but sometimes it works (he still manages it though more often than not)
There are alarms you can get too. Not tried as it would wake my other DS (also SLD) but some say they're good.

moosemama Fri 14-Oct-11 09:24:20

It might not be ihatecbeebies, every child is different. A friend of mine has an nt 4.5 year old dd and has just started a thread because she frequently wets at night.

My ds is borderline dyspraxic and has hypotonia as well as having ASD (he was assessed on the cut off for intervention/OT) so that's what suggested muscle control to me in his case.

I noticed on purple's other thread that her ds sounds incredibly similar to mine at that age, with similar motor skill issues.

ihatecbeebies Fri 14-Oct-11 11:25:41

My DS is suspected of having dyspraxia too sad, we're just starting the diagnosis process so won't know for sure just yet but he has a huge list of dyspraxic traits like not being able to ride a tricycle, hold a pencil, etc. He's fine with the bedwetting though at the moment as I told him now that he is in school he gets to wear big boy pyjama pants and he doesn't stay over at any of his friends houses yet so hasn't clicked that not everyone wears pyjama pants.

squidworth Fri 14-Oct-11 11:41:26

It is one of the taboo subject in playground chit chat but it does effect so many children ESP boys, when I used to hand his tablets for trips I was quite shocked at how many other parents where handing over their tablets and sprays. Just try not to worry the tablets worked for my DS for trips and nights away where he would be embarrassed by his pants, as long as he started taking them a few days before the event.

JayneCoolio Wed 19-Oct-11 12:20:41

Hi Purple,

I've heard of this small charity called ERIC that deal with queries about bedwetting. why not give their Helpline a call? 0845 370 8008 Or visit their website - www.eric.org.uk

Coolio

purplemurple Wed 19-Oct-11 17:57:35

Thanks Coolio smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now