Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Elective Mutism and Severe Learning Disabilities

(5 Posts)
FrillyDrag Thu 13-Oct-11 11:35:01

Hi, would anyone be able to direct me to research or other information on Elective Mutism and Severe Learning Disabilities? I have only found information about elective mutism in NT children.

My DS is mute at school and very loud everywhere else. He has challenging behaviour at home and with those associated with home, but is completely passive at school. He makes it very clear that he really does not want to go into school and seems quite distressed. He does not resist going to other places like respite or afterschool club and talks non-stop there. He consistently makes a very clear choice to be at home, but behaves in a way that is very difficult to the point of being unmanageable.

He will happily speak to the teacher if he is off the school premises and obviously likes the teacher. I don't know what sort of relationship he has with the TA's - they are not a very forthcoming bunch. I have observed him in school and he seemed to be largely completely disengaged but happy when he was doing an activity he liked.

Any tips gratefully received

wasuup3000 Thu 13-Oct-11 13:23:29

Selective mutism can co-occur alongside other conditions however there is not a lot of information about on this. Have you tried ringing or emailing Lindsay the SMIRA co-ordinator?

FrillyDrag Thu 13-Oct-11 17:46:00

Thanks wasuup. I didn't know about SMIRA so I will try them. I presume the 'M' stands for mutism?!

dolfrog Thu 13-Oct-11 18:44:07

FrillyDrag

you could have a look at a recent review
Selective Mutism A Review of Etiology, Comorbidities, and Treatment
which is included in my in my PubMed Selective Mutism collection which was created when we were looking at possible links with auditory processing disorder some time ago.

FrillyDrag Fri 14-Oct-11 09:04:05

dolfrog thanks. SMIRIC got back as quick as lightening but unfortunately they don't have the resources to deal with mutism and learning disabilities. However, there are themes that resonate. I will read through your links as soon as I get time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now