Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

hair types and asd

(73 Posts)
ineedstrongcoffee Wed 12-Oct-11 23:43:29

A lady in the supermarket made a comment about ds hair today and she is not the first .He is the only family member that has coarse wirey hair and the only family member with autism.
It just got me wondering if anybody elses asd children have the coarse hair because the autism outreach lady mentioned "many of my clients have the same hair type".could there be something in my theory or have i had too llittle sleep blush

raffle Thu 13-Oct-11 00:11:32

DS has ASD and his mop is really silky smooth and straight, it's lovely. Which is lucky because he very rarely tolerates a haircut so it's always nearly in his eyes and tucked in the back of his collar, it's a tad girley to be honest blush

ineedstrongcoffee Thu 13-Oct-11 08:29:38

Raffle your sons hair sounds lovely.With my ds i have to have the cutting of hair battle every 6 weeks or he begins to resemble a pan scourer grin.

willowthecat Thu 13-Oct-11 09:22:29

what a ridiculous thing for this 'outreach' person to say ! i would have asked to 'reach out' for her brain cell before speaking. i have heard similar nonsense from similar people over the years though, not about hair but other things that 'they' all have or 'they' all do etc

Lougle Thu 13-Oct-11 09:33:47

DD1 hasn't got an ASD dx, but one of the things that distinguishes her from the rest of her family is her hair. The other two girls have straight, silky thick hair. I have straight fine but plentiful hair. DH has fairly thick silky curly hair. DD1 has extremely thin wiry hair that has huge kinks in it that can be made to curl if they are scrunched. I have to put conditioning spray on it just to comb it.

NacMacFeegle Thu 13-Oct-11 09:50:42

A HCP once told me that my DS1 was "typically" ASD - white blond, straight and silky hair, very blue eyes, very white skin.

She had apparently read some study that there was a link.

I think people just talk for the sake of making a noise, sometimes.

zzzzz Thu 13-Oct-11 10:23:40

Off to google now (obviously!) but can't be linked to the language bit of asd 'cos ds has silky hair and genetically is highly un-"blue eyed blond"!!!! Do you think this individual has worked out that some peole with asd aren't white???

If only we'd known all this we could have gone to the hairdressers, so much easier than waiting for all those pesky consultants.

Perhaps all that is really needed is conditioner hmm. Shall I sugguest it to the next SALT grin

zzzzz Thu 13-Oct-11 10:24:27

sorry for all the typos....flu and mn don't mix

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Oct-11 10:46:11

Oh zzzzz that really made me laugh, the thought of a long line of kids outside the hairdresser and the junior asking 'have you been your holidays?' and the senior stylist laying on hands: 'Aspie. ASD. Hmmm, not sure with this one, perhaps a communication delay - let's try a feather cut and see how we get on.' Brilliant.

grin

lisad123 Thu 13-Oct-11 10:55:24

well both mine are girls and both have autism. One has slightly waving thick and easy matted. The other has masses of curly thick haor that on a bad day looks like a birds nest.
I know one proffessional that says most children she meets with Autism have doll like looks and skin always looks smooth and eyes are always big and beutiful grin

weirdly enough even tony attwood wrote that girls with autism are in his expwerience very beutiful smile

chocjunkie Thu 13-Oct-11 10:58:49

DD1 (s&l disorder, probably ASD) has the sleekest and silkiest hair in the family. everybody else (me, DP, DD2, both sets of grandparents) have hair ranging from wiry to really really frizzy and curly. I have never taken DD1 to the hairdresser. maybe I should consider a trip to the hairdresser to speed up our diagnostic process hmm

ouryve Thu 13-Oct-11 12:01:06

DS1 has my coarse wiry hair. DS2 has his dad's fine, straight hair. They both have ASD.

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Oct-11 12:05:48

Have to say my boy is very beautiful too Lisa grin but obviously our kids get that from their mothers <preens>

zzzzz Thu 13-Oct-11 12:09:38

Mine too is very beautiful....though lets face it have you ever met anyone who didn't think theirs was secretly the best looking in the bunch......it gets harder with twins.....but frankly I am able to hold many totally opposing views at once! grin

tabulahrasa Thu 13-Oct-11 12:18:30

DS has the same hair as DD - mousey, fairly thick and wavy/verging on curly. He has AS, she's completely NT.

He goes to a youth group, it's got 9 teenagers in it all with ASDs - thinking about it, you couldn't get 9 more different types and colours of hair if you tried, rofl

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Oct-11 12:21:21

I'm just thinking as well, it would probably take less time to train as a hairdresser than it would to train as a consultant peadiatrician, so if I get going now I could be dx-ing by next year. Farewell waiting lists, hello the gift of divination... hmm

lisad123 Thu 13-Oct-11 12:55:19

lol i only said girls as that was the group that tony attwood was talking about in his book.
Weirdly enough there is a certain likeness in all the girls at our support group. There is a girl in DD1 group who looks so alike they could easily be sisters and my dad thought a photo of her friend was dd1!! She is also the one girl DD1 like to spend time with and she likes dd1 too, but very confusing for the mums when they are running about togther!

WinterIsComing Thu 13-Oct-11 13:00:59

Ds has wiry hair unlike DD (NT) but his comes from MIL! His friend also has asd and has silky hair. They both wear it too long / have to have it cut in stages though.

Sadly his friend's looks lovely longer while my son's just seems to get thicker and denser! Very handy with the sun-hat refusal wink

When he was first diagnosed my friend (wrongly) told me that the word, "autistic" came from a greek word meaning "beautiful". I was happy to hear that comment at the time smile

coff33pot Thu 13-Oct-11 13:01:22

LOL @ Wilson!

DS has masses of thick wavy hair that loves to knot! Blue eyes fair skin and handsome of course grin He can easily be mistaken for a girl before. Once in nursery they put a girls slide in his hair as he said his hair was annoying him. When DH went to pick him up he walked right past him!

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Oct-11 13:39:28

My DS does fit the fair, blue eyes, silky hair thing actually - but that's probably because we both so Scottish we'd get picked out of a line up.

<realises will have to relocate to establish laying-on-of-hands as a proper business>
<wonders what Dragons' Den pitch would look like>

ineedstrongcoffee Thu 13-Oct-11 14:09:43

Well bang goes my theory then grin.
And yes the same autism outreach lady told me "autistic kids are always super looking ,its probably so you dont murder them". ,however she was only joking and is actually a fab lady who really fights good battles on my sons behalf.
Now im a bit worried about my sons diet so im just going to nip to the hairdressers for a bit of advicegrin sure beats finding a parking space at the hospital.

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Oct-11 14:14:09

Keyboard splutter on the murder comment, thanks for that grin and I'm very glad you qualified it!!

moosemama Thu 13-Oct-11 14:19:15

All my three, ds1 (AS) and ds2 and dd (NT) have the same hair - silky glossy mousey blonde with golden lights, the only difference between them is the progression of the curlyness (is that even a word?). Ds1 has a slight wave, ds2's is curlier and likes to stick out at impossible angles and dd has a mass of gorgeous tight curls.

I on the other hand, have dark brunette, long loosely curly hair which is very fine, but I have tonnes of it. Not one of them looks like they could possibly be my child. hmm

Dh used to have hair - when I met him many moons ago! wink They all get their colouring from him, although he was white blonde as a child and got darker as he got older.

ouryve Thu 13-Oct-11 16:34:38

Ha - moosemama, I've had people ask me if my boys are mine because they both have blond hair and mine is really dark (or it used to be - it's more salt and pepper, these days)

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 13-Oct-11 18:46:13

DS2 has the (now I realise to be 'classic' grin ) blond, fine, silky hair and blue eyes and is very beautiful in an unselfconscious 'fey' sort of way. No hint of a wave or curl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now