Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Listening Program

(13 Posts)
paranoid2 Wed 12-Oct-11 11:07:26

My DS has just finished doing the listening program as he scored on the first centile for auditory processing some time ago. He was retested last week and is now on the 38th centile whch is good news. I have been scepticial about it and still sort of am but I cant deny that even without knowing the result of the test I could see how much better he was at doing the test. We have been doing lots of exercises for related things like Retained reflexes, core stability, bilateral integration and so on, as well as listening and sequencing activities so possibly they have all contributed. Not sure of the impact on his overall functioning. Certainly hes better at processing when doing one to one stuff but following instructions in a group setting is still a challenge, however we have not had many positives so all progress is welcome.

IndigoBell Wed 12-Oct-11 11:11:21

Great news!

Thanks for sharing with us.

coff33pot Wed 12-Oct-11 11:24:25

Thats great! It is good to hear these programmes are productive. Well done DS on great progress smile

blueShark Wed 12-Oct-11 11:45:25

Excellent news!

blueShark Wed 12-Oct-11 11:46:03

Excellent news!

Becaroooo Wed 12-Oct-11 13:42:30

Thats fab, well done x

paranoid2 Thu 13-Oct-11 09:36:36

Thank you smile

teamtwilight Thu 13-Oct-11 17:06:10

Paranoid2, how do you get someone tested for auditory processing and how is it tested? Who do I approach?
My ds seems to have great difficulty hearing what people say sometimes although he passed his hearing test on monday.
He is constantly saying what? hey? say again? and I find myself repeating what I have said 3 or 4 times.

IndigoBell Thu 13-Oct-11 18:18:35

Here's one test for Auditory Processing.

paranoid2 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:11:32

DS was tested by a private OT who did the SCAN-C TEST after we described his symptoms and after she did tests which indicated that he did have auditory processing difficulties. I think you would have to undergo a series of tests and be diagnosed by an audiologist in order to get an actual diagnosis of Auditory processing disorder. See link to info about SCAN-C Test.www.capdtest.com/scan_c.cfm

dolfrog Thu 13-Oct-11 19:26:02

paranoid2

Scan C is the US initial screening test for children and Scan A is the US screening test for Adults. And if you demonstrate any auditory processing problems then you will go through the full battery of APD diagnostic tests.
The Medical Research Council have been researching a new series of APD diagnostic tests, which hopefully will become part of the new global Gold Standard APD diagnostic tests next year.
There are very few Audiologists in the UK who are qualified to diagnose APD, being able to carry out the diagnostic tests and being able to interpret the tests results. The current recommendation is a multi discipline assessment, an audiologists to diagnose the APD, a Speech and Language Pathologist to assess how the diagnosed APD issues affect Speech and Language, and a psychologist to assess the problems of living with the diagnosed APD issues.

The Listening Program is like all the other programs, it can help some but not all who have APD issues, but it is not a cure for any APD issues. There is as yet no cure for APD.

paranoid2 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:00:34

Dolfrog - I didnt claim that the LP was a cure for APD not that my DS even has APD. merely that some auditory processing issues had been identified and we did the LP and exercises . I am well aware that it doesnt help everyone, but as far as I was concerned it was worth a try and it appears to have helped him

dolfrog Thu 13-Oct-11 23:58:55

paranoid2
I was not trying to suggest that you were claiming LP was a cure for APD.
LP and other programs can provide some help to many who have listening issues, and by the same token provide no help for others, which was what i was clumsily trying to get across.

So it is good to hear that LP provided some help for your DS.

There are many Programs which include FastForWord, Earobics, Tomatis, LP, AIT, LindaMoode Bell (Lips), etc. All of which can provide some help for some. The problem is that currently there is no sure way of defining who they will help, who they will not help or who they may harm. Each program is different, but it is very hit and miss, or "try it an see", as to if they provide any help for any individual. The UK program Phonomena seems to have disappeared, I know of quite a few who found that program useful as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now