Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If you cut out the milk/casein/gluten what do you eat?

(10 Posts)
ZombiesAtYourCervix Tue 11-Oct-11 16:09:34

I'm toying with GAPs. have done on and off over the years. Problem is DD2 only eats bread, crackers and other assorted crap (crisps, cake, biscuits, etc)

So what could/would she eat instead?

ZombiesAtYourCervix Tue 11-Oct-11 16:12:09

she won't eat fruit or vegetables and won't take any sortof supplement or medicine. so i suspect full on gaps is not for her.

Maybe I need a nutritionist type person?

shaz298 Tue 11-Oct-11 17:51:13

Genius bread and GF/DF crackers??

pedalpants Tue 11-Oct-11 20:53:05

sounds like gaps is not for her.

but lots of kids like proteins - will she have eggs, nuts?

or what about rice/cous cous made with stock rather than just plain water? (this is not strictly gaps as not GF but stocks meant to be very beneficial according to gaps)

ZombiesAtYourCervix Tue 11-Oct-11 21:24:30

nope and nope. no eggs. no rice. no cous cous. no pasta. would possibly eat a nut if in the right mood.

arse. can't do GAPs.

Spinkle Tue 11-Oct-11 21:29:36

No, we couldn't do it either. He nearly starved, poor kid.

silverfrog Tue 11-Oct-11 21:36:41

would your dd try it if she thought it was a good idea?

you could try reading through the Sunderland ARU (goddammit I can never remember what they are called now! - something like ESPA?) stuff, and maybe doing the Sunderland test (it's a urine test and a form to fill in, so nothing intrusive).

then she could quiz the nice people (who aren't at Sunderland anymore, but wherever they are they are really nice and helpful!) and talk it over with them - you get all kinds of graphs etc with the results, and a through explanation of why and how it might be affecting you.

would thathelp get her onside a bit do you think?

there are many ways to cut down gluten/casein without doing full gaps (I don't do gaps; keep thinking about it. dd1 has been gf/cf for over 4 years now, and we don't use a lot of the gf substitutes - bread occasionally, and that's it really)

if it is an issue for her, then just giving it a break for a while might help her to see (on re-introduction) how rotten it makes her feel?

there are a couple of books which might be useful:

this is a really good introduction to the whole topic and

this one has some strategies to help with food issues (and if there isn't a strategy, it does also help to know that other peopl have come through the same stuff

I do sympathise. dh thinks that his dd (my dsd) would benfit from a gf/cf diet, but she refuses to even test for it. as she is an adult now, there is little we can do about it. it must be harder with older children who have 'real' opinions (sounds wrong, but with dd1 I changed her diet when she was 2.6 - she really didn't get much say! dd2 was gf/cf from weaning - again, little say or choice in the matter! dd2 does eat gluten now, but is still dairy free)

silverfrog Tue 11-Oct-11 21:42:25

does she eat biscuits/cakes etc?

if so, I would be inclined to test (always better to know if there is a reason to be fiddling baout witht he diet anyway!) and then maybe go down the route of loads of gf biscuits/cakes etc - not ideal, but you can make them healthy (ish).

would break the gluten cycle, maybe? and her diet is not exactly the greatest anyway (not trying to make you feel bad, jut highlighting that eg eating cake for a coule of weeks woudl not be the end of the world!)

often, once the gluten/casein stranglehold is broken, children are more receptive to other foods - it certainly worked that way with dd1. she was very restricted, and willnow eat most htings (she scoffed down a salmon and new potato offering last weekend - I am doing a product test thingy and that was the recipe I was given - my heart sank as I thought no way would a food fussy (ish) ASD girl eat that, but she shovelled it down! her horizons continue to widen, tbh, and she started relaxing about foods within a couple of months after going gf; slowly, slowly, with a lot of hard work on her part, but she is getting therenow)

ZombiesAtYourCervix Tue 11-Oct-11 22:08:44

thanks. really thanks and thanks those books look interesting.

i'll wait till she's in a good mood (HA!) and see what she thinks.

ZombiesAtYourCervix Tue 11-Oct-11 22:14:39

i mean the effusive thanks is to do with feeling like i amgoing slowley mad and people just don't get it. and then i say something like my op and suddenly people do get it.

now i just have to stop digging my head back in the sand and actually do something about it.

must try harder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now