Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

looking at secondary/special schools

(8 Posts)
iwanttoscream Tue 11-Oct-11 14:01:56

dd has a statement 15 hours. y5 at the moment is p7ish in maths and reading ,1c ish in writing. has speech and language disorder. trying to compile a list of questions at the moment to ask the schools, ie do they have in house salt or do they have nhs salt. what i need to know is what kind of options are available instead of gcses. i would ideally want her to get to a 2a by the end of year 6.please help give me your ideas as what you would ask the schools if you were in my shoes.

insanityscratching Tue 11-Oct-11 14:04:41

I would push for special school tbh as at least in our area SALT ceases on entry to secondary school unless of course you have it quantified and specified in part three.

iwanttoscream Tue 11-Oct-11 14:17:26

We are in Kent does anyone know if salt continues on entry to secondary school. Thankyou insanityscratching

iwanttoscream Tue 11-Oct-11 19:39:40

also most secondary schools here are now academies so what difference will that make ie funding statements. can they say no to statemented children.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 11-Oct-11 21:38:50

Academies have the same legal responsibilites as LA schools for SEN, but much depends on the attitude and ethos of the individual school. Most of my local secondaries have become academies, but some are still much more inclusive than others. You really need to visit the SENCo and get a feel for their attitude. Kent LA doesn't have a good reputation for SEN AFAIK, others in the area know more.

TheTimeTravellersWife Tue 11-Oct-11 21:52:09

It has just dawned on me that I will need to name DD's secondary school next year, at her Annual Review in Year 5, so I will need to start looking at secondary schools in the New Year.
She attends a small single form entry school. All the staff know her, it is a lovely little village school, she has 25 hours of support. She is on P levels. Has ASD, dyspraxia/DCD, attention deficit, Speech and language difficulties separate from her social skills problems due to her ASD.
She copes well with and enjoys school but I cannot see her coping in a 2,000 pupil secondary school and I think that it will be best for her to attend a special needs school, but DH wants her to stay in mainstream.
So, my plan is to look at mainstream first and then hopefully he will see that they are not suitable and be more open to the special school when we go to see that!
Has anyone else had they same disagreement with their partner over mainstream or special school? I could do with his support rather than disagreement!
If we do consider mainstream, any tips on what to ask, look for?

iwanttoscream Wed 12-Oct-11 10:45:31

dd is also in a small single entry school. I did look at one special school when she first got her statement but felt she was not severe enough for it, there was another one but it was further afield hubby said no so i did not look at it, but sometimes i wish i had. Though i will be looking at it as well as secondary schools, mainly to see which will offer her the best support. Have not told hubby yet.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 12-Oct-11 22:57:18

There's a secondary school transition thread on SN Education that may give you some tips on what to ask and what to look for. 'Let's flap about it together.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now