Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

AIBU in HATING the term "SN top trumps"?

(94 Posts)
Dillydaydreaming Mon 10-Oct-11 16:05:05

Seriously people - don't use it as it's just horrible. This should be a supportive board for those of us who are coping with children whose development does not fit "the norm" in some way or other - life is hard enough without dissolving into bitching and topping on here as well.

Nuff said - am off to sort out DS.

Sevenfold Mon 10-Oct-11 16:06:33

very well said

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Mon 10-Oct-11 16:35:58

yanbu. It's unhelpful to say the least.

GoodAndBluts Mon 10-Oct-11 16:37:14

YANBU, very well said!

Dawndonna Mon 10-Oct-11 16:56:42

Sounds fair to me. I hope I haven't done it unwittingly.
<panics>

justaboutstillhere Mon 10-Oct-11 17:13:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I don't even know what that means and from what's been said, I'm not sure I want to either as it sounds derogatory sad

BakeliteBelle Mon 10-Oct-11 17:41:53

I really hate it too, having had it used against me on AIBU. I sometimes feel there are lots of people lying in wait to scream 'SN Top Trumps' on AIBU. Not sure I've seen it on here before yesterday...

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 10-Oct-11 17:45:17

Hate it.

I also hate tradgedy top trumps.

much worse than swearing which seems to be getting a lot of attention ATM.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 10-Oct-11 17:50:29

justaboutstillhere Mon 10-Oct-11 18:48:36

zzzzz Mon 10-Oct-11 18:49:34

I hate it too BUT it is very descriptive and some times accurate. Personally I wouldn't use it but I think it is a bit unreasonable to try and stop other people using it.

Rivenwithoutabingle Mon 10-Oct-11 18:50:58

Sevenfold Mon 10-Oct-11 18:54:37

it is used in the sn topic, wasn't sure who it was directed it, was it me or the other poster on said thread with a severely disabled child.
it is a horrid term when used just to hurt, even more so when used in what is supposed to be a supportive topic.

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 10-Oct-11 18:55:41

justaboutstillhere Mon 10-Oct-11 18:56:17

WilsonFrickett Mon 10-Oct-11 19:05:16

Goodness, the only time I've heard anything like that on this board was when I de-lurked and said I felt uncomfortable about posting as my DS issues aren't too bad and I was told that we dont do top trumps here. sad if that's no longer the case. But the boards do seem a bit, well, snippy at the mo?

sneezecakesmum Mon 10-Oct-11 19:06:20

It was used here on SN many moons ago in a particularly vitriolic and very long thread. Thankfully the majority of those posters have left the SN board and it is now very safe and supportive and nowhere near as cliquey as it used to be.

Whether severely physically or mentally affected, they are all such special children with parents who need help, advice and above all support. SN is the most supportive of the MN threads and considering the emotional pain many posters are going through it is miracle most are so kind and understanding.

Chundle Mon 10-Oct-11 19:09:21

What thread was that posted on?? Never heard that term before and wouldn't dream of using it!
I find this board extremely helpful and a wealth of knowledge

justaboutstillhere Mon 10-Oct-11 19:12:41

MangoMonster Mon 10-Oct-11 19:19:26

I don't like the term either, however I think it's easy to forget the woode range of situations people are going through on SN board. I'm probably guilty of generalising when really I know nothing about anyone's situation day to day. It's human nature but worth being self aware about.

justaboutstillhere Mon 10-Oct-11 19:35:51

Sevenfold Mon 10-Oct-11 21:17:47

oh please.
do not pretend that the sn topic is a safe place, if it was terms like this would not be used. people would not be hounded of the topic, or have crass remarks made to them.
sadly the sn topic has become just like any other topic now, your face has to fit(or should that be DX)

MangoMonster Mon 10-Oct-11 21:36:16

sevenfold, I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's not my personal experience. Please explain why you think it's that way? I'd be very sad if it was.

GoodAndBluts Mon 10-Oct-11 21:49:22

Ive not been able to post on SN for ages now as I felt so hurt and destroyed after a new poster decided I was jealous of their extra respite and called me a bully for disagreeing. I used to post enearly everything on here about my DS2, but now, I can barely bring myself to post. Only last week I went on a thread I thought would be a laugh, and lo and behold, SN MNers eating each other alive.

Tis not a nice place ATM, not somewhere I would care to come for advice. I long for the days when everyone got on and there were no fights. That was the SN boards back in ye old days anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now