Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What would you do?

(5 Posts)
Triggles Mon 10-Oct-11 07:32:37

Going spare here. DS3 has been ill all weekend, high temp, unknown reason, very cranky and weepy, not great with food (and of course, I've been watching for any signs of something serious, but nothing specific). Fever not quite as high today, although still massively whinging and weepy.

DS2 is 5yo, has school trip to farm today. He has been "off" this weekend as well. No fever, but his asthma has been playing up. He's needed his inhaler a couple times yesterday and already once this morning. He's OTT in terms of stimming and behaviour. A few brief moments of calm, but not listening, not focusing, and really hyper (for lack of a better way to put it).

The school has a solid risk assessment/plan in place for this trip today. His main TA is going to be with him, and they've promised that if she has to hand him off to anyone for even a minute, it will be the teacher (who is aware of his impulsive behaviour and that he's a runner with no sense of danger) and not any parents on the trip. This TA is brilliant with DS2, so I'm not doubting her at all.

But I'm nervous about sending him today. I don't want him to miss the trip, but neither do I want to send him and have his asthma kick in or this behaviour to mar the trip for him and everyone else.

Would you send your DC in this situation? I feel like I'm being overprotective, but at the same time, he is really out there today.

sigh

I HATE this type of situation.

Triggles Mon 10-Oct-11 07:36:39

Sorry, probably should also have clarified - this type of behaviour, along with the asthma playing up, is typical of DS2 when he is coming down with something - so am worried he might be coming down with whatever DS3 has.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Mon 10-Oct-11 08:36:09

I would send him. The school has risk assessed and will call you if need be. However you have probably decided by now - sorry for the delay in responding

lisad123 Mon 10-Oct-11 09:18:21

just seen this. i would send him but be clear if he gets worst to call you.

Triggles Mon 10-Oct-11 12:10:16

sniffle

I sent him... but hated doing it. He was quite happy to go. I'm sure it's parent's paranoia. It's the first time the school has taken him off the premises without me along, so it's caused me a bit of panic. Probably wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a runner and impulsive with no sense of danger.

I did advise the TA that he'd used his inhaler more frequently over the weekend, so he may need it. And let her know that if they have portable toilets, please do not let him go on his own, as he has tried to look down the hole. hmm Can't have him falling in the loo! blush

I'm sure he'll be fine. It's so much more difficult to let them go on these types of things than it was with our older children. I suppose because we're so used to stepping in to protect them or prevent them from doing something dangerous, so we see the hazards more and worry more.

I'm just going to keep telling myself he'll be fine. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now