Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone's DC been diagnosed with conduct disorder, oppositional defiance disorder or pathological demand avoidance??

(13 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 09-Oct-11 16:25:08

I'm fed up of hearing people discussing these disorders saying they are made up labels for naughty children. Clearly these people have not had to fight for a diagnosis else they would know such diagnoses aren't handed out willy nilly after meeting a child for 5 minutes but can take years of assessments!

If your child has one of these disorders do they also have AS, Autism, ADHD etc or is it possible to have one of these disorders on it's own IYSWIM.

Chundle Sun 09-Oct-11 16:30:34

Hi my dd is 7 and has ADHD with 'very oppositional behaviour' however the only dx we have is that of ADHD as I don't think our paed likes to label with ODD/conduct disorder etc unless it's in the extreme. It is very challenging and very draining and I totally sympathise with any parent that has an oppositional child

moondog Sun 09-Oct-11 16:33:08

A diagnosis is not really the issue.
What is and can be done for the presnerting problems is what really matters.
Many peopel unfortunately believe a diagnosis and a formal label is all important.
It rarely is.

jandymaccomesback Sun 09-Oct-11 17:09:34

I have a friend with a son with PDA and he is regarded as being on the Autistic spectrum.

lec0rnsillk Sun 09-Oct-11 18:37:53

The strategies for dealing with PDA can be very different to ASD, so some understanding of the nature of the difficulties is important.

lec0rnsillk Sun 09-Oct-11 18:38:37

...although PDA is regarded as being on the autistic spectrum by the NAS.

coff33pot Sun 09-Oct-11 20:01:52

DS is under assessment still for AS?ASD however at the moment he is classed as "complex" the list is as follows SPD, SED, OCD, PDA, ODD and I can bloody go on as everytime I see someone new they stick another bunch of initials on their reports. School on the other hand class him as "naughty"

Dawndonna Mon 10-Oct-11 10:38:46

I have three with Aspergers. One also has ODD, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD and Developmental Delays. She is fifteen, received her dx at seven. After a couple of false starts, we've actually been really lucky with school, particularly High School, where I have to say, the pastoral care is unsurpassed. She is becoming more confident and able by the term, she has been put in top groups for most of her subjects, she is forewarned about changes, and it is made clear which behaviours are acceptable and unacceptable. She is rarely jumped on for her behaviours. In fact it's only ever been by two teachers, one of whom is new. The other has been dealt with!
smile

notapizzaeater Mon 10-Oct-11 11:53:44

Not got dia. yet but got a 15 hr statement which to me was far more important - I reckon pure PDA .... just going down CAHMS route now for "label" ...

nappyaddict Mon 10-Oct-11 13:30:22

coff what is SED?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:43:00

Sadly we got much more support once we got a label (autism plus other things), even though the label shouldn't matter

nappyaddict Mon 10-Oct-11 13:57:43

Yes, you can't access a lot of services without a diagnosis.

dolfrog Mon 10-Oct-11 17:30:19

nappyaddict
You may be interested in having a look at
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) - Psychologist Anywhere Anytime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now