Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Comments needed - trying to set up ASD swimming session

(14 Posts)
cwtch4967 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:20:58

My local pool can be hired for a private session with floats slides etc for £85 max capacity 60 people. I'm thinking of hiring it for an ASD pool party for families to attend with their ASD children and siblings - we would need enough families to cover the cost - if we could get 15 families / groups (max 4 per group) then the cost per group would be approx £6.00

I have spoken to the pool who love the idea and would welcome feedback before I take it further.

My ideal would be to have a session a least once a month. Also in talks with the local cinema to see if we can do something there.

zzzzz Sun 09-Oct-11 12:28:55

Sounds great, thought there are 7 of us so we would have to be 2 groups. How long would you get and what sort of time would be issues for us.

Local cinema would be fun too.....

I would guess it will all work well if there are enough clients int eh area.

cwtch4967 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:32:21

An hour in the pool - lots of floats etc.

Times available are Sat / Sun aprox 2/3 3/4 4/5

I've got quite a few contacts via DS special school / friends with ASD children and a few local support groups so I'm hoping to find enough people.

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 09-Oct-11 12:33:47

We go to a similar club but it is all special needs, not just autism. It is great.

cwtch4967 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:39:38

Can I ask how much you pay per session?

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 09-Oct-11 12:43:48

£8, but I believe £5 of that goes to the young volunteers who go in and help the kids (parents get time off, gotta love that!)

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 09-Oct-11 12:44:01

We used to go to a special 'disabled' family swim session at a local college for young adults with disabilities. It was originally intended for DC with physical disabilities and one carer, but they had so much more interest from families with DC with LD that it became broader. They soon included siblings and both parents or 2 carers. Every week was too often for us, and it cost £5 per family for about an hour in a very warm pool. Once a month sounds great. We had to pay termly upfront, as it was run by a swimming school. It was such a relief to do something 'normal' as a family without stares and comments about behaviour.

So long as you can get enough people committed to come regularly I think it sounds a great idea. You wouldn't want to get stung for the whole £85 too often!

coff33pot Sun 09-Oct-11 21:27:57

Sounds a great idea to me and the cinema one too! But I dont suppose you are in Cornwall LOL...........

cwtch4967 Mon 10-Oct-11 08:36:01

Sorry no I'm in Neath - if anyone is interested pm me.

chuckeyegg Mon 10-Oct-11 09:06:30

coff33pot - is there anything in Cornwall? We are coming down in the half term and was looking at all the soft play and they don't seem todo any special sessions?

cwtch4967 - sounds great unfortunately nowhere near me. Good luck with it. smile

babyheavingmassofmaggots Mon 10-Oct-11 09:08:24

I'd love something like that and would definitely go. Shame you're nowhere near me though!!

smallwhitecat Mon 10-Oct-11 20:46:13

Message withdrawn

coff33pot Mon 10-Oct-11 20:57:20

chuckeyegg the answer is noooooo. However there is a huge softplay venue that is great and I take DS regularly and he loves it. Cinemas down here dont do anything SN wise but in the winter its hardly ever full so we tend to go then when it is quieter. Best bargain in Cornwall are the beaches either in the sun or with wellies on lol! grin

ZombiesAtYourCervix Mon 10-Oct-11 20:59:16

sounds great but DD2 wouldn't go as swimming pools isone of her foibles.

I spent many a happy hour in Neath pool as a child though - broke my teeth in there twice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now