Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

motability cars??

(12 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Sun 09-Oct-11 10:34:01

I saw this mentioned on another thread but didn't want to hijack. How do you get a motability car?

What are the pros/cons?


WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:08:48

Restricted (or no) mobility, virtually unable to walk or to make walking progress due to severe mental impairment. You may have to appeal and go to tribunal even with a clear diagnosis and countless supportive letters from medical professionals.

If you are successful you will be awarded the mobility component (higher rate) of disability living allowance. This is about £51 per week and you can either use this for taxis, fuel, towards a car from elsewhere, or choose to lease a car through the scheme. The type of car you have will depend on how much you have to put down as a deposit.

Sadly, some families, those needing one to accommodate a wheelchair or two, don't have £10k needed to lease the type of vehicle that they need.

In my case, it took a year for the award to come through so the backdated money went towards the deposit. My son's car only needs to be able to fit his wheelchair buggy into it so luckier than most who qualify.

Pros are that the motability vehicle is taxed and insured and you will also have automatic entitlement to a blue badge. Cons, well, as I mentioned. In many cases families have to decide if they need the money or the car more.

I think that's the bare bones of it and I'm happy to be put straight on anything. But it most certainly isn't a case of filling in a form online as the DM is suggesting today hmm

WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:18:14

I've spotted an error myself. You don't need a mobility vehicle for the blue badge; just the entitlement to higher-rate DLA mobility.

bigbluebus Sun 09-Oct-11 11:20:49

You will find all the information you need on the Motability website - but you do have to be on Higher rate mobility allowance to qualify and if you are applying on behalf of a disabled child then the child must be at least 3 years old.

mumgoingcrazy Sun 09-Oct-11 11:24:29

Thank you all.

DD2 is 4, we get middle rate DLA and higher rate mobility already. We also have a blue badge. What are my chances?

WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:27:33

It's the HRM that is difficult to get. I'd get on to the mobility helpline and have a chat to them about your options smile

mumgoingcrazy Sun 09-Oct-11 11:31:02

Thank you, I'll call them x

kimt83 Sun 09-Oct-11 15:22:13

you have to be awarded high rate mobility and have at least 1mnths left on your award to qualifie for a motability car

mumgoingcrazy Sun 09-Oct-11 19:32:46

In theory we qualify then as we get this and have it until 2013 until we have to renew.

Thanks for all the advice

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 09-Oct-11 22:33:56

As long as you have HRM then you qualify, just go to whichever local car dealer you want and tell them you are looking at getting a mobility car, they will have a mobility consultant who will be able to help you.

mumgoingcrazy Mon 10-Oct-11 09:36:22

Thank you keepingup! I'm assuming I can sell my car and use this for the deposit. It'd be very handy to have a bigger car, we're a bit squashed at the moment.

Dawndonna Mon 10-Oct-11 10:28:21

You can also use the money to purchase a car through the motability scheme. The only thing is you then have to insure it yourself. Tax is exempt if you are on higher rate mobility.
There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to this.
If you hire through motability, you are limited on your mileage, although the allowance is quite generous and the car has to be handed back in reasonable order.
We bought, because our mileage is higher than that allowed, or it was when we bought. We did it over five years.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: