Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Starlight: refridgerator mothers theory back again?

(17 Posts)
ArthurPewty Sun 09-Oct-11 09:12:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 09-Oct-11 09:42:24

It's a stupid claim and article.

Because it is an 'opinion' and a simplistic one at that.

You know that I believe that the pressure on women can be a contributing factor. Not stress-wise but anziety-wise, - but there are plenty of emotionally disturbed mothers that don't have children with autism.

But I do also think that autism presents as worse than it needs to because of the society we live in, the method of our educational establishments too, and low expectations.

ArthurPewty Sun 09-Oct-11 11:35:43

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 09-Oct-11 11:43:29

Caused-by-depression-of-mothers - my arse!

Caused by a genetic dysfunction in brain.

Claw3 Sun 09-Oct-11 12:03:06

"Dr. Mate concedes that he has no proof for his theory of rising autism (ADD and obesity as well), “but nothing else makes sense”."

Says it all really. There are plenty of disorders or conditions were the exact cause is unknown, seems as long as this accompanied by a visable physical disability of some sort, it 'makes sense', but without one, its the fault of the mother.

I have 3 boys, 2 NT and 1 with ASD, all parented by me, strangely enough!

I should also imagine that many parents do not suffer with any emotional turmoil when their children are born, but if they do later on, its caused by the stressful bloody process of firstly having a child with SN's and secondly by trying to get these needs met.

It has also been my experience, that 'bad parenting' and parents with emotional difficulties is the very first thing they rule out before giving a dx. Even when this is initially ruled out and a dx is given, it is revisited constantly later on and parents have to continually prove themselves time and time again.

Although as with everything, i am sure there a minority of cases where children are mis-dxed with a disorder, its not very helpful and downright stupid to conclude it is so in most cases.

zzzzz Sun 09-Oct-11 12:03:42

Far more likely that Mothers are also ASD and so may come across as mechanical to the criminally unobservant and unempathetic.

Personally I think that a discussion about refrigerator Doctors and Societies would be more productive......I go to warm my little ice-cubes. Grrrrrrrrr.

Oh and how exactly dot hey account for the fact that some of these frozen out babies have perfectly functioning siblings...............sigh.

bee169 Sun 09-Oct-11 14:59:28

I do wonder whether my depression was a trigger for ds.

I was new to motherhood and totally overwhelmed. Although I am not sure how much of this was because I was a first time mum and how much was because ds had a hidden disability. I wondered why others seemed more in control - now I look back and realise I had more to deal with!!

I guess my main concern is - did my depression and stress affect my oxytocin levels in the breast milk and if so was this a trigger? Has anyone come across research on this??

willowthecat Sun 09-Oct-11 15:11:43

I know autism is considered to be a wide spectrum but the author seems to be talking about children with very minor issues that can be addressed by what he calls 'effective' parenting but what has that got to with severe language delay and severe social difficulties ?

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 09-Oct-11 15:22:33

bee169 - the overwhelming mass of evidence suggests that autism is genetic in origin (see global, longstanding studies like the Autism Genome Project). There simply aren't any proper studies into stuff like depression causing autism - they are usually just tiny little samples, non-peer reviewed, shoved out by some bunch of postgraduate students and attracting disproportionate amounts of publicity because they are 'sexy, Daily Mail' type theories along the lines of "nasty, defeminised mums wearing trousers rather than a pinny cause badly-adjusted kids." Please don't beat yourself up!

bee169 Sun 09-Oct-11 17:10:35

Thanks sickof. I def agree with you about the mass of evidence about its genetic origin but like most parents of children with asd, I am really bugged by the environmental trigger part. I am sure one day some very clever person ( probably with asd smile ) will figure this out!!

Here's hoping it will be very soongrin

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 09-Oct-11 18:32:04

I'm not sure about the environmental trigger - DS certainly didn't need one: in the words of Lady Gaga, he was born this way.

PipinJo Sun 09-Oct-11 19:35:46

Claw3 Sun 09-Oct-11 19:38:47

I have a number of contributing factors i could choose from with ds.

My brother had ASD.

I had to take antibiotics throughout my whole pregency.

Ds had a traumatic birth and was delivered by ventouse.

Ds was born with Rhesus Disease, as a result of which he had severe jaundice.

He spent first 2 weeks of his life in special care baby unit, naked, blindfolded, tube fed. He wasnt allowed out from under the lights, even for a minute.

He showed signs of extreme distress and was given a brain scan and lumbar puncture to check for Meningitis.

Now looking back, he showed the first signs of Autism aged 6 months.

Whether he was destined from conception to have Autism or whether birth or events shortly after caused it, i dont know. What i do know is that he has Autism and it wasnt caused by parenting.

mariamagdalena Mon 10-Oct-11 22:00:43

An incomplete list of the ways i caused the asd: Family history. A bit of alcohol before I knew I was expecting. Bleeding in pregnancy. Steroid injections because of the bleeding. Stress. Being overdue. Being induced then forceps. Postnatal depression. Letting interfering inlaws disrupt bonding. Poor breastfeeding technique. Not co-sleeping. Solids at 4m not 6 months. Going back to work and leaving him at nursery for 30h/week. A front facing buggy. Giving too much / not enough / the wrong sort of early stimulation. His jabs. Or maybe not having enough jabs to prevent every bug. Calpol. Penicillin. Failing to notice that separation anxiety meant he hated toddler room. Having another dc so my level of input reduced a bit. Failing to kick up a fuss and seek out early intervention. Not enough routine. Too much routine. Too strict too soft. Being a refrigerator mum. Being emotionally overinvolved. Sending him to school instead of home educating him. Giving meds for his ADHD.

Or maybe the autism just wasn't my fault. And whatever the environmental triggers, perhaps i just couldn't have protected him any more than I did.

mariamagdalena Mon 10-Oct-11 22:02:56

lisad123 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:05:18

what a crock!! never had depression, spent many many hours with dds being positive, I spent half my lfe teaching parenting, think I knew what I was doing hmm
more likely the terrible pregnancy and birth expereince IMO

Swiddle Tue 11-Oct-11 22:13:32

When in doubt, blame the mother.
This is easy, cos the mother will always blame herself anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now