Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Something not right with ds aged 6

(6 Posts)
heather1 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:03:55

Hope this wont be too long and i have put it in the right place but I have some qs about my ds. Backround he had bad reflux as a baby, dribbled constantly until age 4.5. Had extensive speech therapy at school and now speaks normally. Still dribbles sometimes when concentrating hard. He was assessed by the hospital aged 4 and recieved some sessions with a OT to help him with his fine and gross motor skills. We wanted to check there were no other factor affecting his development other then speech issues. His speech used to be terrible. Only close relatives could understand him.
So the OT said he had very low tone and give us some exercises to do (we have done them but maybe not as often as we should.) She also said that maybe he was dyspraxic. But she said it wasnt a diagnosis just more of an opinion. My concerns are that he just doesnt seem "with it" a lot of the time. He doesnt always get it when other children are being unkind to him (not always a bad thing) e.g. he was spat on at school and seemed unbothered by it. I was really angry. Teachers have noticed he is not precise when cutting shapes. He just doent seem as "sharp" or "switched on" as his peers. For example I asked him to put something in the bin today. He didnt know where the bin was. But his Dad showed him the bin yesterday (we have just moved) Also he touches walls constantly in the flat. He walks around the flat and his hand is in constant contact with the wall. Its so dificult to describe it but I cant help feeling something is just not quite right. He is such a lovely boy and really tried hard. Thanks for reading so far. Appreciate any feedback.

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 21:35:33

You should listen to your gut.

You can ask your GP for a referral to a child development paed, or you can ask the OT to assess him for dyspraxia.

ASD, ADHD, Dyspraxia and Dyslexia all have so many overlapping symptoms, that I'd want him checked by a paed to see if he has any of them.

Whatever he has, he only has a mild form of it (if at all). And once you've got your head around exactly what it is, there'll be loads you can do to help him.

lisad123 Fri 07-Oct-11 23:17:46

I second asking for developmental pead to see him. In meantime make a note of his behaviours and concerns, times and places are helpful too. This then makes it clearer to paed how often these things happen and where and when.

SOTIRIA Sat 08-Oct-11 15:27:00

I feel for you as it is very hard to cope when things are so uncertain. There may just be a developmental delay. I felt similar when my son was 3. I looked on the internet for different conditions and found that a symptom of constant touching was Sensory Integration Disorder. I bought a book called the Sensory Diet by Carol Kranowitz and started some therapy at home. It's just lots of good fun such as finger painting and sand play. We also went for a referral to the pead.

Becaroooo Sat 08-Oct-11 16:18:35

Agree with everyone else....appt with a dev paed is in order I think.

Best of luck
x

heather1 Sat 08-Oct-11 18:53:31

Thank you for all your replies. So I will make and appointment and will also let you know how it all goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now