Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

In Scotland - asking for help re dyslexia and school

(5 Posts)
imogengladheart Fri 07-Oct-11 12:11:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

willowthecat Fri 07-Oct-11 12:28:51

This site is a good starting point

tabulahrasa Fri 07-Oct-11 13:52:07

School I'm afraid

that's the bit of enquire that you want to look at

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 18:15:02

Dyslexia is diagnosed by an EP, which only a school can order. Or you can go private.

However it's not a very useful dx. Really it boils down to if he's having difficulties with reading and or spelling, then he has dyslexia.

oodlesofdoodles Fri 07-Oct-11 19:54:25

Have you already been to your gp? Are you on a waiting list to see a paediatrician for ageneral assesment? (Most likely paed will refer you on to yet more professionals) But if not then I would get on with that.

What support does your LEA offer to teachers/schools who don't know what to do with a child? Has the school contacted them? Has he been assessed for 'audit hours'? (may have a different term in your area)

Can you get your local councillor to help/advocate for you?

Schools don't like children being taken out by parents, but the threat of this may spur them into action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now