Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

need advice please ??

(7 Posts)
5plus2equals7 Thu 06-Oct-11 22:57:11

I am after some advice so here is my story ......
My DD1 nearly 10 didn't speak until she was three later discovered hearing problems still has grommets now , when she started school had very little attention span {now put down to hearing} ed psych reviewed her but just said she was immature for her age ....

So here we are in year 5 still finds school a massive struggle below the national average and still can't number bond to twenty [maths is her biggest struggle] Friends she has none been into see ht today to discuss my concerns about her inability to make and maintain friends he said he has been watching DD {knowing I was coming in] and she wanders around almost aimlessly ,she craves adult attention all the teachers know her ,she is very bubbly almost over friendly which I know puts people off [iyswim ] if things arent giong her way with her peer group she has been knowed to lash out ... School are going to give her more support and learning regarding behaviour he suggested I go to my GP and seek her some outside support regarding her inability to socialize has anyone else experiencing what I am all advice help gratefully recieved ..... Thank You

Claw3 Fri 07-Oct-11 07:44:53

I think going to your GP explaining all of your and schools concerns and asking for a referal to a paed who will have a better understanding and experience of children's difficulties is a good idea.

squidworth Fri 07-Oct-11 07:52:43

I would ask the head to put his concerns in writing for you to show to that gp, just to get over the paranoid mother tick box. Why did it take for you to a arrange a meeting for the school to voice their concerns? It just drives me mad.

5plus2equals7 Fri 07-Oct-11 17:05:35

Thank you for your advice appointment made and I will ask for a referal too .The HT offered to write a letter for the Gp wth concerns which I accepted .I agree squidworth about me having to go in with my concerns rather than they approach me ,DD just falls I believe below there radar her behaviour doesn't cause them a problem so they let her inability to socialize etc.... almost go unnoticed ...

Claw3 Sat 08-Oct-11 09:34:27

Thats great, you have taken the first steps. I think what Squidworth suggested about getting a letter from school is an excellent idea, as you may find that school will try to play down difficulties when asked "what help do you plan to put into place", which would be my next question to school, in reply to their letter once you receive it.

My only other advice, which was given to me when i first started out, would be put everything in writing, follow everything up in writing, ask everyone to put everything to be put into writing. This is probably one of the most basic, important and helpful bits of advice i was ever given.

Good luck.

dolfrog Sat 08-Oct-11 15:03:56


There may be one or more issues, but you have described one quite well.
Otitis Media with Effusion (OME) which is also called Glue Ear, and is usually remediated by using Grommets.
OME causes temporary hearing lose, while the ears are blocked, or unable to drain the fluid. The grommets help the draining processes.
One of the long term side effects after having OME can be Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) a listening disability, or not being able to process all that you hear. APD can cause the dyslexic symptom, problems following conversations, problems following multiple verbal instructions, and socialising in general.

Your GP can refer your DD for an APD assessment and diagnosis to Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH). You could download the Medical Research Councils(MRC) APD pamphlet (the pamphlet can be also be read online here) and take a copy to your GP to explain these issues.
GOSH carry out the MRC recommended multi discipline (multi - professional) APD assessment. An Audiologist to diagnose the APD issues, a Speech and Language Pathologist to assess the speech and language issues causes by the identified APD problems, and a Psychologist to assess the issues regarding living with the identified APD problems.

5plus2equals7 Sun 09-Oct-11 17:11:54

dolfrog Thank you so much for that link all downloaded and printed off to go armed with to my GP ..... My gut feeling is that is what she has .

Claw3 Thank you for all your advice too , I will make sure I document everything .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now