Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

i-pad apps for asd child ? any ideas ? any good ones ?

(10 Posts)
droves Thu 06-Oct-11 22:50:45

dd4 has an i-pad , mainly for school , as she doesnt use laptops too well and prefers the smartboard . She cant write <apart from her own name > as she has hypermobile joints and refuses to hold a pencil very long .

I-pad is she can get used to doing work at her desk .

Its her own , have already loaded up simple maths programs and simple spelling apps , shes is racing through them and needs something a bit harder .

Anyone got good ones for a 6 yr old ?

StillinMyPJs Fri 07-Oct-11 10:26:10

Hi Droves
I recommended this website earlier today on another thread. The guy that runs it has a child with special needs and he posts video reviews of apps so you can see what they are like before you buy.

You can join their facebook community. There they have 'app parties' where you can win itunes codes for the apps and other things. You could even post on the Facebook page asking for advice.

jjgirl Fri 07-Oct-11 12:51:37

i went to a seminar about this a couple of weeks ago. this is the [http://www.suttonspeech.com.au/ lady] unfortunately she does nt give much away on the web. i will have to wait ntil i get home to post a few more. but apparently their is a forum tucked away on another website where they review them but again i would have to check my notes when i get home next week.

just pm me if i forget.

haggisaggis Fri 07-Oct-11 13:09:45

Droves - we got our dd (9) an Ipad for her birthday as she is dyslexic but also has minor coordination problems so finds using a mouse really difficult.
She also has huge numeracy problems (is probably at a 6 or 7 year old level).
The Math Bingo is good and Tic Tac Math. She also anjoys some of teh drawing Apps (there are loads - many free ones and some you have to pay for). I also get her to do jigsaws on it and spot the difference - again free Apps which she enjoys. There are some good memory games too - would need to look at her Ipad but one does simple pairs matching but also does sequences too (which again is something dd has to work on - and this makes it fun!)

droves Fri 07-Oct-11 13:12:56

Still , thank you for the link ! What a brilliant site !

There is loads of apps on there that would suit dd4 ! grin

JJ need to check out that address , and look for the forum ...should be able to google it <i think>

DD4 took her "toy" to school today for the first time .... straight away she started doing a sample app <not a full version ...think its a "lite" > that i found last night for simple sums .... her teacher was amazed that she was doing maths and getting most of them right ! shock ....so was i !

We are lucky enough to be in a position that we could afford to buy an i-pad for dd4 to use at school. Its a wonderful tool for autistics and other sn kids who cannot use pencils/pens or normal keyboard computers .

Might try do some fundraising for the school to get some for their SN department !!!.

droves Fri 07-Oct-11 13:22:15

Haggis , one of our boys is dyslexic too <as am i > , never thought of using it to help him ....hmm might have to start saving again and get another for ds2 !

Im guessing you have some app that works like an alpha smart ?

smile .

Funny how you mentioned co-ordination problems ...ds2 <although talented at sports > falls over a lot ...he seems to trip himself up when he walks at times < can run ok though confused>

...And it took me 5 years to learn how to drive < problem with right and left ...i know which is which , but doing it when someone says turn left is a bit different blush .

If only there was an app to calm adhd < ds3> ...it would be perfect !

Thanks for all the replys [flowers]

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 07-Oct-11 13:27:05

droves, it's worth seeing if you fit the criteria for the family fund, they'll fund an ipad if you do.

droves Fri 07-Oct-11 14:47:09

Ninjagoose ....we have already got dd4 her i-pad. smile (been saving for ages)

We do fit criteria for family fund ...dd4 is on high dla both parts and dh works less hours than he would like <looking for better job , but none available yet>.

Just dont want to ask "the fund" , we get along , and it might take away from someone who needs something really important .< like a hoist or wheel or something>.

wentshopping Fri 07-Oct-11 15:30:48

My dd has quad cerebral palsy, can't hold pencil, only types with one thumb, can't use a mouse... she loves our i-pad. I got her some spelling and maths apps and she has chosen a lot of fun apps, mainly in the (free) lite version. She likes cooking apps - we live in USA so there may be difference in availability - like "more cookie!", "more pie", "more grillin" which need minimal dexterity but are kind of fun, and the "Talking Tom" and all the spin-offs to encourage her to vocalise. Although, the other day she turned up the volume on her communication device so that she could type in a word and "Tom " would repeat it. "My playhome" is one a therapist showed us - it's a dollshouse, where you move the people around, turn on taps, open the fridge etc. I also have an e-book reader on it as she can turn the pages by swiping - not possible for her with a real book, so I'm hoping she'll get into books that way. The music ones are fun too "tunemaker" and "magic piano". I have found a few which were too difficult - "wordfind" needs you to be really accurate, and "mooncake" is too quick for her, but addictive for the rest of us.

wentshopping Fri 07-Oct-11 15:34:37

oh and here's another website like the one StillinMyPJs posted www.snapps4kids.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now