Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does my head need to come out of the sand?

(6 Posts)
rebl Thu 06-Oct-11 22:44:44

Take a look at this and tell me, is it time I started to admit that dd has issues just like her twin brother?

Ds: Neurosensori bilateral hearing loss
Dd: Neurosensori unilateral hearing loss

Ds: Challenging behaviour and poor social skills
Dd: Typical madam and poor social skills (has only 1 friend)

Ds: Still can't drink from a water bottle / straw, had no sucking reflex at birth
Dd: Can drink from a water bottle very slowly, had no sucking reflex at birth

Ds: Shoves so much food in his mouth he chokes
Dd: Can't manage to eat mouthfulls of more than 5 grains of rice, chokes easily

Ds: Has "zoning out" moments - witnessed by OT, needs to see neurologist
Dd: Has migraines and "zoning out" moments - Witnessed by GP, needs to see neurologist

Ds: Very stiff all over, odd walking and running gaite
Dd: Has pain and sensation problems with hands, wrists and ankles, still can't hop or skip, has odd running gaite.

Ds: Thinks sleep is for wimps, lucky if he sleeps 5 - 6 hrs a night.
Dd: Is sleepy all the time, sleeps 13 hrs a night and is woken up after that to go to school.

Ds: Early signs of puberty (hair)
Dd: Been referred to paeds for suspected precious puberty / growth problems (gone off the charts upwards).

If you were just to read the list about dd would you say this is a normal child? Also, as you read this list do you think that there are some striking similarities and that maybe I would help everyone by printing this list out and giving it to someone, I dont' know who, maybe gp, neurologist when we see them? Is it time to stop burying my head in the sand over dd and admit she has problems too?

TalesOfTheUnexpected Fri 07-Oct-11 08:41:04

I would definitely flag it up with either the GP or Neurologist, or OT. How old are the twins?

I have non-id boys. One appears to not hear me unless I shout (he's not deaf), one is very noise sensitive and walks round with his fingers in his ears.

One sleeps for hours and hours, the other one gives me about 4 hours peace a night.

They have other problems too.

We started off with a referral from our health visitor to a Hospital Paediatrician, who then referred us to the Eye Hospital, who then referred us to a Neurologist... you get the picture wink.

I have no overall definitive diagnosis for their problems 7 years on.

But yes, your daughter does sound like she has some issues, and I'd be on the phone asap to someone to flag them up.

rebl Fri 07-Oct-11 10:16:45

They're 5. I think the events of the last month and week has brought it to light that actually they're not much different, just that dd has presented in a different order and not to the extremes in some cases as much as ds.

zzzzz Fri 07-Oct-11 10:48:33

I think reading it your dd sounds like a female version of you ds [I have twins to one sn and one changed by his brothers special needs]. I don't mean she is his clone I just think it sounds like she is doing all the same stuff but with female slant [eg she can suck but it is hard, could be that girls are ahead in this sort of thing and in fact do learn many skills ahead of boys].

As to the head in the sand thing weeelllllll, I'm not sure I would characterize it like that. Your daughters issues do sound less extreme than her brothers and perhaps you wouldn't be taking them so seriously if he wasn't there IYSWIM. It will help to try to separate the thing in your mind. Imagine you only have dd, would you have had her seen by GP? HV? Referred to pead? It is hard when there are 2 to separate the issues [I have 5 children 2 with sn one of whom is a twin so I GET that!] but really the similarities are not going to help the diagnostic process, you need the medical peeps to keep them separated in their minds. Otherwise you end up with a blanket approach which is not ideal at all.

Ineedalife Fri 07-Oct-11 16:54:02

I don't know about your LO's but I do know that girls and boys with some conditions such as ASD can present very differently.

Girls and boys are very different and so could present all sorts of issues in different ways.

Not a proff, just my opinion, I would definately show a proff the list in your OP.

Good lucksmile.

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 17:52:56

I would want her properly checked out.

The extreme migraines she gets are not normal for a child. Whether that is linked to anything else I don't know......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now