Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS1 being removed out of mainstream school

(12 Posts)
XxAlisonxX Thu 06-Oct-11 21:23:44

well upon having a meeting today with Ds1 school they have decided to refer him to the behaviour unit for a 12 week trail, once compleated that he goes back to ms, see how he does and if they still have the same probs as before they are planning on permantly transfering him, atm he has no dx for noone seems to even have an idea ( apart from myself) on where to start. I think that he has AS or/ and ODD or some form of a behaviour/social disorder. The school says that it doesnt warrent a SEN atm but they have put him on the SAP.

has anyone got any ideas on any other disorders that i could be looking at.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 07-Oct-11 08:35:18

Alison

Has your son ever seen a developmental paediatrician; the GP should refer you to such a person urgently.

Why are school transferring him back to the behaviour unit; do you mean by this a Pupil Referral Unit?. If that is so and if your son is AS this is the worst place to send him because it is totally the wrong environment.

School are failing your son here as well as you. I would look at other schools as a matter of course.

lec0rnsillk Fri 07-Oct-11 11:02:37

who has he been seen by regarding a dx of the cause of his difficulties? If school/LEA are saying that his needs cannot be met in mainstream school then he needs a statement and a suitable placement. Or are they just trying to move him on because they don't want to deal with his difficulties. What do you think op?

XxAlisonxX Mon 10-Oct-11 11:27:33

Atilla- no he hasnt yet but i do have an apt for nxt week. yes the pupil referral unit is where they are planning on sending him. They state they sending him there because they cant manage his behaviour anymore and have classed him as a health and saftey risk.

leo- iv only seen the SEN and Edu Psy, so far they sort of agree with me and are in the process of refering to the necessary people for testing, CHAMS are involved but about much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Im starting to think that you are right in the fact the school is moving him on because they cant cope. For after the meeting on thursday within 40 mins of us leaving the school they decided to exclude him for the next day. and then today after i had to escort him to school they decide to send him home again. ( i was fuming over the fact id just wasted money and time just to be told they were sending him home.!!) I am stressed and pee'd off for i just dont know what to do. Iv asked about statmenting but they say that atm what they are doing doesnt warrent it. but if he fails afterr the 12 week thing then they will be requesting it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 10-Oct-11 11:50:35

If he goes to the PRU they will further fail him particularly if your DS could be on the autistic spectrum. It is the wrong environment for him and it sounds like they've given up on him. You are being both being failed here by this school, would not return to this school after the proposed 3 months there.

Your son's case certainly warrants statementing now and a suitable placement (definately NOT the PRU); you as his Mum can personally write to the LEA requesting statutory assessment. If you're wondering what to write use IPSEA's website www.ipsea.org.uk. What have the LEA said to you personally re the proposed PRU placement?.

Use your GP to get your DS a referral to a developmental paediatrician.

I would seek advice from one of the charities out there like IPSEA, SOSSEN or ACE (to name but three) on your son's situation as well.

IPSEA's website has information on it re exclusions; I would look at that as well for your own benefit; you need to be aware of the law surrounding such decisions here.

XxAlisonxX Mon 10-Oct-11 14:16:26

Right I need advice now on who to contact to sort out a full time placment not the PRU, and to be passed from pillar to post and it setting him back. referal done for develop pea got appointment nxt week. After what the deputy head said to me this morning i get the feeling that after the 12 week they arnt going to take him back.

lec0rnsillk Mon 10-Oct-11 16:39:20

make an appt to speak to parent partnership - they may be able to help
are there any schools with specialist units attached in your LEA that he could attend? Where would you like him to go?
Get that statutory assessment application sent off - look on IPSEA for model letters.
who has suggested the behaviour unit - was it school or the LEA? Do you want him to go there?

lec0rnsillk Mon 10-Oct-11 16:40:05

...also how old is he?

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Mon 10-Oct-11 16:50:59

agree with Cornsilk and Attila. You may need to do some research yourself into a better new placement - talk to sencos at other local schools, get a feel for whether they are enthusiastic about taking a new kid with SEN or not, and what sort of support they offer to kids similar to your DS, look on council website for info about units attached to mainstream schools in area etc.

XxAlisonxX Mon 10-Oct-11 22:34:05

my ds1 is 13, Thanks all, im putting in a parental request for a statutory assessment tomorrow, after alot of phone calls and thinking, im going to refuse the PRU and demand he is tested for PDA, ODD, ASD, so that i can get him in the correct school ( i have an idea on which sn school im considering for him). The statement process n all that isnt new to me for my dd1 has just been statemented for something totally differant.

XxAlisonxX Tue 11-Oct-11 18:06:59

today they have decided that he is to go mornings only pending permanent exclusion, im ready for pulling my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Wed 12-Oct-11 16:26:15

hmm that's school making their life a bit easier just having him mornings. I'ld be onto the council and one of the helplines re:legality of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now