Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

At what age can school check for dyslexia from?

(6 Posts)
imogengladheart Thu 06-Oct-11 18:08:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dolfrog Thu 06-Oct-11 18:38:16

imogengladheart

Dyslexia is a man made problem, a social construct, about having problems with a man made communication system the visual notation of speech, or decoding and recoding the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech.
Developmental dyslexia has a genetic origin (viz dad and grand dad) and has three cognitive subtypes auditory, visual, and attentional. Which means that an auditory processing disorder, a visual processing disorder, an attention disorder, or any combination of the three can cause the dyslexic symptom.

deally developmental dyslexia should be diagnosed by a multi - discipline team an audiologist, an optometrist and a psychiatrist, who can identify the various causes of the dyslexic symptom. Unfortunately in the UK we still rely on an Educational Psychologist (EP) to diagnose the existence of the dyslexic symptom. EPs are not qualified to diagnose the underlying causes of the dyslexic symptom.
Currently children in the UK can be assessed and diagnosed regarding dyslexia from 7 years of age.
Have a look at the following research paper collections CiteUlike Group: Developmental Dyslexia - library 480 articles and regarding dyspraxia my PubMed Dyspraxia Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) research paper collection

Becaroooo Thu 06-Oct-11 19:52:41

You can request a "statement of special educational need" (also called "statutory assessment") from your LEA for your son. See the IPSEA website for advice. Also SOS!SEN.

Am not surprised the school are not willing to admit anything is wrong angry As dolfrog says, there are types of dyslexia (my sons is auditory) and its really important to get the dx for your son so he can get the right help.

Just got my son dx (at age 8) but have known since he was 5.5/6. His school still insist he is doing wonderfully...sigh.

There is LOADS of stuff to help your ds but it all depends on his type of dylexia...Have you contacted your local Dyslexia Action??? They give a free half hour consultation which may help you?

I am so sorry...sounds like my ds1 and its awful when a school just will not admit there is a problem. IMHO primary schools are very reluctant to get a dx of any SEN as then they have to provide interventions/1-1 (at least theoretically...my son gets no 1-1, dx or not!)

If you also suspect dyspraxia (which my son also has) then there are therapies that can help....my son does retained reflex therapy and it has really helped him. (you can google it)

I seem to remember your GP is not very sympathetic???? (is that right?) I would just apply for SA yourself....then your son will get assessed by an EP, OT, SALT and paed.

Best of luck x

imogengladheart Thu 06-Oct-11 20:19:02

imogengladheart Thu 06-Oct-11 22:15:29

Becaroooo Fri 07-Oct-11 08:19:04

OMG!!! I hope you will be reporting that garage!!! shock

I really dont know the system in Scotland, I'm sorry.

Perhaps re-post as a specific quetion re: scottish ed system? Or in Primary Ed board?

I will have a google and see what I can come up with..

In the mean time, one of the regular SN posters has posted a link to a cheap online EP type report - which we have both done with our dyslexic dc and the results have confirmed what we both suspected...i.e. our dc's issues are auditory. We feel we can now both concentrate on that area with our dc's.

It costs £19.

Might be worth a look?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now