Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ed Psych assessments.

(12 Posts)
supermum98 Thu 06-Oct-11 17:20:01

Have been told that schools can no longer bring an ed. psych. in to do assessments, but we will have to pay privately. Other people have said that the school has to pay from their own pocket and most don't but some do. Does anyone know what the situation is or does it vary school to school/county to county?

Tiggles Thu 06-Oct-11 20:21:36

We are in Wales so maybe different to England/Scotland but my DS is definitely on a waiting list to be seen by the Ed Psych in school. I am fairly certain that they only have a certain number of slots so they give them to the kids that they think need them most, but because DS has a dx the school automatically referred him.

ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Thu 06-Oct-11 21:45:27

Also in Wales and DD was just seen by EP in School which the school sorted out. Think the EP works for LEA so money comes from a central place not form the school direct. (Could be wrong here tho). DD had already been discussed in an Entry to Education meeting in June before she started school (following paed appt) and it was recommended and agreed there. She is 3.8 and only just started school, but was seen in the first 2 weeks. They did tell me that there is an EP allocated to my DD school but she also covers a lot of the local area so very busy!! But as far as Im aware in this area its still available for free.

IndigoBell Thu 06-Oct-11 22:19:23

It varies school to school.

But I think all schools get some EP hours a year. But not nearly enough.

Some schools can only send 1 kid a year, whereas others might be able to send 2 or 3 a term.

So I don't think it's true that school don't have any EP hours. But it might be true that they can only see 1 child, and your child isn't the worst kid in the school.

Who says he needs an EP assessment? You, school or the NHS?

Also why do you want an EP assessment? What do you hope to gain from it?

babyheavingmassofmaggots Thu 06-Oct-11 22:22:04

DS was seen in school by the EP and the school sorted it out. I didn't have to pay.

Nigel1 Thu 06-Oct-11 22:54:27

The provision of an EP service is a statutory duty.
Tell the school and the Principle EP at County Hall what you have been told and that if you do not get a full EP assessment including a complete WISC IV or BAS IQ test , not hte short for, and a full set of attainment tests, spelling, reading comprehension and maths, then you will formally complain to the Chief Executive. They will back down.
If you cant do that then go to a privte EP adn get a decent report and give that to the LA. They wont like that. Tell the EP that you want it for a Tribunal to make sure it has the necessary degree of specificity. There ae differnet standards of reports. The tribunal report should be more detailed and tell the reader what support he will need. That will be the key issue. Good luck.

wasuup3000 Fri 07-Oct-11 10:21:50

Schools in our area have to buy in EP time from this Septemebr.

supermum98 Fri 07-Oct-11 18:09:45

Thanks everyone. wasuup, that seems to be what is happening here. As friend with child on SENS register was told if she didn't get her child assessed earlier this year that it wouldn't be on offer later. Equally Nigel1 I agree it's hard to believe this can be true and thanks for info. about different standards of report. My son is not on SENS register and they are saying he may have slow processing. He is one of the best readers in the class, can spell fine, maths ok, but reluctant to write and low productivity. Senco want's to do Phonological Assessment Battery (can't remember exact name of test) but when looked at it on internet, seems more appropriate for struggling readers. Not got a great deal of confidence in schools diagnostics, so have said would like to go for Ed Psyc. assessment as his difficulties may be subtle, poor short term working memory for eg. Don't want to spend £4oo pounds though if I don't have to as ds1 have been told could do with a full diagnostic ed Psych. assessment also. Maybe they could do a Bogoff offer.

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 18:13:05

For £20 you can do this online test which will tell you if he has slow processing or memory problems.

It won't tell you what to do about them however - but then neither does any EP report I've ever seen.

supermum98 Fri 07-Oct-11 18:15:32

Cheers IndigoBell. Will have a look. Has your ds justed started in year 7, or am I mixing you up with someone else? If so how are things going.

IndigoBell Fri 07-Oct-11 18:21:09

You're mixing me up smile

purplemurple Fri 07-Oct-11 19:06:18

DS saw Ed Pysch last year, all she did was observe him in class, spoke to him briefly and played a game with him.

Her report just basically regurgitated what I had told her with a few extra observations.

I was really disappointed as I was expecting something a little more indepth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now