Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

oh lordie, I don't think I am going to like the new autism advisory woman

(38 Posts)

she's really something!

Children with autism are...
Children with autism feel...
children with autism react...
children with autism do...

and then proceeded to tell me what my son thinks and how he feels - she's never even ruddy MET him!

I bloody HATE that. Children are individuals and don't have a single motivation or feeling that applies to them all just because they have autism.

I can tell we are not going to get on.

Do you get on with the 'professionals' involved with your child(ren) and if not, how do you deal with it?

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 19:02:21

Have to say, she doesn't sound promising, is she new to the job?

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 05-Oct-11 19:25:49

Trying to write ds' out of his statement altogether. Fought like mad to get them. Got them. Fighting like mad to get rid of them grin

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 05-Oct-11 19:26:59

Parents of children with autism who can tell in the first second that you haven't got a clue what you are talking about are/feel/react/do......

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 05-Oct-11 19:35:28

FFS it sounds like she's never met a child, let alone one with autism

Pidjie is bitter and job hunting

Good luck sad

bialystockandbloom Wed 05-Oct-11 20:31:29

Ah yes, they all do xyz don't they. FFS.

We thankfully? don't have any 'professional's involved, except the school. I have already, in 3 weeks, encountered much of what you say from them though. I thought the school we chose was the right choice. Now not so sure, precisely for these reasons.

Ineedalife Wed 05-Oct-11 20:35:50

Oh no, that doesn't sound goodhmm.

We were advised to seek advise from the autism advisory team!!

I don't think I will bothergrin.

Agnesdipesto Wed 05-Oct-11 20:48:06

The SEN officer assured us our autism advisory teacher was brilliant because 'she could see right inside those autistics heads'.
which must explain why in a year she never found the need to actually interact with DS

bialystockandbloom Wed 05-Oct-11 20:51:21

agnes is it wrong that I actually laughed when I read that grin

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:03:54

This thread doesn't give me much hope. We had an appointment with salt recently, tried to explain about recent Asd dx and lack of interest in toys, even used the example of a car and how he uses it like a ball. She then proceeded to try and interact with him using a car! I asked, do you Jane Amy balls or anythig else to get his interest...eh no, just the one toy...wtf.

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:04:33

Mind you, I learnt a lesson, always being own toys to appointments!

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:05:32

Bloody phone! Not Jane Amy? Who is she? Lol. Do you have any balls...

justaboutstillhere Wed 05-Oct-11 21:07:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oh, justa - I've lost that bloody number blush can you pm it to me please ?

justaboutstillhere Wed 05-Oct-11 21:15:49

Agnesdipesto Wed 05-Oct-11 21:20:14

Yes now she is a distant memory i can grin, at the time i was very shock hmm angry

justaboutstillhere Wed 05-Oct-11 21:24:42

IndigoBell Wed 05-Oct-11 21:25:56

I'll tell you what my first thought is - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Chances are that something she says will be useful / interesting / valuable.

Or even the process of working out why what she is saying is wrong might help you.

So just try to work out which bits of what she says is helpful. And bite your tongue for the rest sad

(Not that I would actually be able to follow my own advice smile )

justaboutstillhere Wed 05-Oct-11 21:27:44

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 21:43:58

I was constantly told I should take Ds to more toddler groups, didn't realise that was an all out cure for asd! wink. I busted a gut, going every fay and he would ignore the group and follow a ball around...

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 05-Oct-11 22:04:28

I took ds to 8 toddler groups a week. Perhaps that is where he caught his autism.....

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 22:11:31

smile

ovenchips Wed 05-Oct-11 22:13:23

When my DD(6) started special school (for children with autism) the school nurse came out for a home visit. She got on my nerves about a few things but I mentally gave up on her when she said "So your DD must really love Thomas the tank engine". "Ey?" says I, scanning my living room for evidence of Thomas obsession (not a train related anything to be seen). "Our children always love him" she explained. At the time my DD's fave toy was dolls.

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 22:18:35

I have come across the " so does he love trains and lining toys up? Er no, he doesn't like any toys...

insanityscratching Thu 06-Oct-11 01:31:42

Hecate I wonder if you have the autism advisory woman that I have managed to lose grin when dd moved schools . I can't even remember her name now but she has an AS dd in her mid twenties which you would hope would give her insight and understanding but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have.
Have done two ARs now without her input or attendance and have had a far more positive outcome as a result.New school didn't know of her and I "forgot" to mention that she was involved wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now