Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

teeth grinding

(4 Posts)
spaceangel1382 Wed 05-Oct-11 17:58:58

My DD is 10 month old and has her four front teeth in {two top two bottom} she has started grinding them really loudly and Im afraid she will damage them. Is this normal behaviour? should I or can I stop her from doing it?

MangoMonster Wed 05-Oct-11 19:05:28

I'm not an expert but would have thought it was normal in a 10 month old who is exploring her teeth. If she does it too much could you try a teether? Vibrating ones can be good. She could be in pain from teething. If you are still worried, try your gp as she could have earache or something?

Jerbil Thu 06-Oct-11 00:53:05

I told my dentist about DS1 who continues to grind his teeth at age 5. She said it's very common on children and that there is nothing you can do. :-(

LizzieMo Thu 06-Oct-11 10:11:10

I am in my 40's and I still grind my teeth!!!! It is very difficult to break the habit, as you are asleep so don't even know you are doing it. I have a plastic guard to wear at night to protect my teeth but it does not stop the grinding, I just eventually grind down the guard and have to get a new one made. It does come & go in phases though, sometimes I will go for months and not do it. It may well be with your child being so young that she will stop doing it of her own accord. Although the grinding can in theory eventually wear away your teeth, mine are actually still intact and very healthy, all things considered. It is an annoying habit but nothing more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now