Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Teeth grinding stim

(9 Posts)
MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 19:18:29

Just wondered what your opinions on teeth grinding are? DS does this a lot' mainly just clenching but also full on noisy grinding. Pretty sure it's a stim. Have to say I wasnt too worried and thought itight just be phase, but it's been pointed put to me (in a nice way) that it could cause headaches and damage to teeth. No idea how to redirect this and how much I should try. DS is almost 2.

4nomore Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:40

My son went through phases of doing this quite a lot (although he'd often go months without doing it at all), he's also "chewy" in general (chewing through t.shirts etc). When he was a bit older than your lo I got him some Chewy Tubes and would try to get him to use these when he was chewing or teeth grinding - they did seem to help. He chews far less now (aged 6) and only grinds his teeth very very rarely. I suspect things would've gone much the same way without any intervention on my part but I couldn't bear the sound of the grinding and it was getting expensive replacing clothes!

MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 19:28:38

He's very chewy at the moment too and I was wondering about chewy tubes... He always puts everything in his mouth, but I thought this was play exploration until it was pointed out that he chews clothes and bibs, seems to be getting worse. He also wants to snack constantly even straight after big meal, so I think it's all related. Would a chewy tube redirect it? And make it less with other objects. New to all this so a bit baffled. Do you think teeth grinding is detrimental? Guess it could become more intensive if left.

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 19:31:25

My dd1 does it, even in her sleep. She ground her baby teeth down alot! Denist said nothing to be done until all adult teeth are in, and then fit with mouth guard. confused

MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 19:38:14

Lisa do you think she good headaches or anything? I clench my teeth a lot too and do get headaches sometimes. Feel bad that I didn't really notice how often he was clenching as it's part of a whole body tense...wider stim, does it when excited, frustrated or wants something, so quite a bit.

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:20:41

No she rarely gets headaches, I think the stim is more the movement of teeth than the clenching of mouth iyswim

AlfalfaMum Tue 04-Oct-11 21:25:42

I do it, and yes, it's been really bad for my teeth.
I've always had good oral hygiene, but have ground down my teeth and even broken molars from clenching and grinding.
Do seek advice from the dentist; I have been fitted with a splint/mouthguard thing to wear at night (I suspect I should wear it in the day too because I often notice I have a clenched jaw).

squidworth Tue 04-Oct-11 21:47:24

My DS did it until about 4 he still bites jumpers and he is five, the dentist will not be able to do much as it is baby teeth and at this age will not keep the mouthguard in. Eating regularly did reduce my son doing the above. I always avoided the chewy tubes as it took so long to get him off the dummy I could not go through that again. Out of all his odd habits he does not stim too badly grinding was the worst.

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:59:11

keep eye on baby teeth, dd1 had ground hers down alot and so when big teeth tried to come in, it broke her baby teeth as so weak, and then they had to be physically removed as broken pieces stayed in! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now