Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I'm in shock

(45 Posts)
rebl Tue 04-Oct-11 19:15:48

I posted a while ago about discovering that my ds (age 5, deaf, SPD and challenging behaviour as yet not dx) has a talent for photography which actually helps control his behaviour as well. The beginning of September he came 2nd in a local under 14's photo competition which I was so chuffed about. Well, today we were contacted by the RHS (royal horticultural society). A different photo of his they have shortlisted in their photo competition. I'm in total shock. He's clearly good, I just hadn't realised how good. I really wanted to share this news with you all because you've all been so supportive over the years and you'll understand how having a child like ours being able to excell at something means so much more. He still can't read, he can barely write, doesn't understand his peers in the playground and he isn't fully toilet trained but OMG he's better than every single one of them with a camera grin. This is very very special to me and I'm so proud.

silverfrog Tue 04-Oct-11 19:19:55

oh, that is so lovely I remember your other thread - and now another photo shortlisted.

how fantastic grin

well done mini-rebl, that is some achievement.

MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 19:20:27

That's amazing and wonderful, so happy for you both. You must be so proud! smile

rebl Tue 04-Oct-11 19:31:50

Just tried to explain it to him and its gone totally over his head. He wants to go and see it at the competition! He says he'll take the photo into school tomorrow and scare people with it (its a photo of a large spider he found in the garden). He doesn't understand at all. I don't care, I understand smile. All those missed and late milestones and worry mean nothing right now smile.

Tota1Xaos Tue 04-Oct-11 19:43:32

that's marvellous, well done Master Rebl.

MangoMonster Tue 04-Oct-11 19:45:27

He might understand in future...being artistic is such a gift, I'm really not good at that stuff! Such a impressive thing to be good at too, I'm sure it will give him immense joy in the future and help his esteem no end.

bialystockandbloom Tue 04-Oct-11 20:31:28

That is absolutely fantastic, well done him smile

I love the fact that he's only 5yo and saw off competition from (presumably) tons of 10, 11, 12 and 13yos!!

And today's news is wonderful - he is clearly super talented. Delighted for you both smile

messmonster Tue 04-Oct-11 20:44:17

Lovely news Rebl, I've often dreamed my DD will have an amazing hidden talent that will one day appear smile. So glad your DS has found his and at such a young age - lots of years to enjoy it.

So pleased for you and well done mini Rebl smile

chuckeyegg Tue 04-Oct-11 20:49:01

That's great, thank you so much for sharing.
x

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 04-Oct-11 20:55:32

that's fantastic news, well done him smile Hope the spider has the desired effect grin

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 04-Oct-11 20:55:43

Fantastic. smile

beautifulgirls Tue 04-Oct-11 20:58:23

Wonderful - I hope he is is winner many times over with his photography from here.

Chundle Tue 04-Oct-11 21:03:45

Fantatic rebel! really photography is an ideal hobby/profession for kids with social issues as it's a solitary job. I can't believe he's 5! Is there anyway you can get his pics on photobucket and send us all the link so we can look at them?

AlfalfaMum Tue 04-Oct-11 21:11:42

congrats your ds, that is wonderful!
I'd love to see some of his work too smile

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:13:53

I really want to see these photos. Dd1 is talented in art and amazing watercolour painter

Lougle Tue 04-Oct-11 21:14:23

Rebl, I understand, totally. That realisation that something just something is what your child can do, does enjoy, is recognised for.

For me, with DD1, it's her singing. Now, before anyone gets excited. She doesn't remember most of the words. She doesn't follow the tune exactly. She can't pronounce the vast majority of them, even simple ones. Yet, to me, and DH, and my Mum and Dad, the people that really know her, it is so precious.

Because in that moment, her face is serene. Her face is lifted up to the sky, and she is singing. I have to listen really, really carefully to pick up what she is singing, but her heart is completely in it.

What a privilige for you to get a glimpse of the world through his eyes. I am so delighted for you, really.

rebl Tue 04-Oct-11 21:48:30

I have a flickr account which they're on but it would out me! But then if he wins I'm going to be posting with a link to the winning web page and his name will be there. I'll speak to dh and see what we think about outing me.

I'll put some on here actually for now.

5inthebed Tue 04-Oct-11 21:51:07

I remember your last thread Rebl, well done to him!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 04-Oct-11 21:52:01

I was going to ask if we could see the photo until I read it was of a spider grin.

Well done ReblBoy smile.

elliejjtiny Tue 04-Oct-11 21:56:37

Wow, the photos are amazing.

imogengladheart Tue 04-Oct-11 21:56:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:57:01

lovely photos. Can I ask what sort of camera he is using? It might be worth investing in a better camera for him.
I have put 2 of my photos on my profile and i love taking photos, and since getting a beter camera, my photos have improved smile

5inthebed Tue 04-Oct-11 22:01:12

The spider picture is amazing!

lisad123 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:05:52

i love the flowers

Marne Tue 04-Oct-11 22:07:00

Thats great news (i can remember your other thread), so glad he has something that he enjoys and is very good at, you must be so proud? (i'm proud for you).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now