Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Meeting with school NOT gone well :(

(26 Posts)
Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 12:48:06

So. Meeting with HT, teacher and SENco (not the usual one, one who has come out of retirement due to uausl one being on sick leave) to discuss EP Report on ds1 which we commissioned last month.

They think report is good, lots of recommendations most of which they feel they are already doing and that ds1 is making good progress.

I think its a dreadful report....vague recommedations not targeted to ds1 at all.

The HT then said that the EP had not dx dyslexia but had suggested it as "likely".

He will get no 1-1 despite that being one of the recommendations (SENco not around) and when I told her we were also doing an SP programme at home 10 mins a day things got very frosty!!!!

HT: "I dont know why you comissioned this report!" just because I dont agree with every single thing in it???

He is being seen by the spld team next month and is starting a S&L group at school next week but thats it, basically.

He is in year 4. His reading is 1a and his writing is 1b. They are pleased with his progress (he has made progress but its very slow)

Ds1 is happy at this school - which is a big thing after his last experience! -so do I just write off the next 2 years and hope for better at the new school and keep doing extra work with him at home??

Am really really fed up sad

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 04-Oct-11 13:17:02

Don't write off the next two years and keep working with DS at home.

TBH I'd be now looking at applying for a statement if you think 1 to 1 is required.

IndigoBell Tue 04-Oct-11 14:28:58

sad

zzzzz Tue 04-Oct-11 15:05:08

Sorry I'm not quite sure if I am getting the right end of the stick. Did you pay a private EP to write a report? If that is the case then the first thing I would do is get back in touch with her/him and say you were looking for a much more direct and personal report. How much did it cost?
The report should be a clear description of where your child is, what help/support they need to access the class etc....

Ask for it to be rewritten in a way that does not allow the school to wriggle out of their obligations.....then go back and politely ask them to follow the experts recommendations.

If dyslexia is "likely" why aren't they/you pursuing a dx? Surely the child will need specific intervention if this is the case. To me it's a bit like saying "oh we suspect he is blind" and then carrying on shock!!!

Not sure what SP programme is, but I would definitely be supplementing at home and asking them to act in a more focused way.

Dyslexia in no way should limit your sons education. Yes some things will be tougher for it but I knew several severely dyslexic adults at university [some 20 years ago] who were doing just fine. At least one of them went on to do a PHD!!!

Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 15:16:47

I think I may do zzzz We paid £600 and frankly its not worth the paper its written on!

Will contact them and see what they say.

Will keep working the ds1 at home...just cant understand the hostility from the HT about the work we are doing at home....they cant provide 1-1 but I can

zzzzz Tue 04-Oct-11 15:20:48

It's none of the heads business what you do at home [and weird that she is trying to stop you doing an extra 10 mins a day shock ].

It's positive that he is liking school so I would say in your mind for now school is for social, home is for work. Must go pick mine up, but our report was just less than yours and I expect a lot for that kind of cash. angry

Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 15:24:02

If he wasnt happy I would take him out.

But he is.

Sigh.

lec0rnsillk Tue 04-Oct-11 16:31:27

£600shock! I agree with zzz - ask EP for the reasons why they haven't dxed dyslexia if they are stating that it is 'likely' - that sounds very wishy-washy. You've paid enough!

lec0rnsillk Tue 04-Oct-11 16:32:38

...also sounds like you have touched a nerve with school with regards to the work at home- don't worry about that, it's not always a bad thing.

Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 16:36:46

Have e mailed the EP so will see....

Not worried about touching a nerve grin Just really surprised by the attitude. I comissioned the report...I paid for it....I have every right to think its a pile of crapola!

I have been thinking and am coming to the conclusion that the HT thinks it a good report because it basically says the school are doing everything they can (they arent) no 1-1, no specific targeted help for his dyslexia etc etc

lec0rnsillk Tue 04-Oct-11 16:41:40

yes you're probably spot on!

bochead Tue 04-Oct-11 17:30:08

His poor academic scores give him a better shot at a statement than some ; ) If he doesn't have one apply today as secondary applications are done in year 5 instead of the normal 6 for statemented kids.

Don't ever let anyone put you off trying to help your OWN child at home - ffs that's silly of the HT.

Yes, if you aren't happy with summat you've forked out £600 for you are entitled to say so. If it were a washing machine you'd have sent it back to the shop as poor service is poor service no matter the industry. Did you get a face to face post report with the EP?

Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:17:03

bochead I am going to apply for a statement in year 5 if things continue how they are...with the schools support or not (i.e. not)

Am just really shock at the schools attitude...they cant do 1-1 but I can...so what the problem??

Have e mailed the EP so will see what happens...not expecting anything but am glad I made my views clear.

Becaroooo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:20:03

Also, the HT keeps saying that by the end of year 5 she is confident he will be scoring 4's.

how???????

He is a 1a now...so...at least 7 sub levels progress in 6 terms??

I think I must be very dense because I cannot see that happening (although as was pointed out at the meeting, I am not a professional)

tryingtokeepintune Tue 04-Oct-11 19:06:43

Did you get to see the report before it was finalised? We had a meeting after the school assessment where I gave my opinion on what was wrong etc. We were also invited to comment on the report before it was finalised. Did you get a chance?

Also how can HT say that they are doing that is recommended when 1:1 was recommended and is now being ignored. Can you apply for a statement saying that it has been recommended by the EP.

Agree with other posters - continue to work with your child at home and use school for social skills etc.

bochead Tue 04-Oct-11 20:07:33

Please apply for a statement now. It takes 6 months, IF you are in total agreement with the lea all the way through.

If not - well my lads was finalised in March, (after a 6 month wait) tribunal November and then it be January before it's all implemented sad Other Mums warned me to expect it to take 18 months, this isn't untypical. I just think its so important to at least try and get the basics sorted (statement in place diagnosis, description of needs) before secondary if at all possible.

chatee Tue 04-Oct-11 21:10:17

please apply now for the statement...reasons
1. you have enough evidence
2. your lea will mess you around and delay timescales as long as they can
3. annual reviews for children going to secondary school placements are talked about in year 5 with the statement written and agreed by feb 15th in year 6 (see the sen code of practise)

If you don't do it now - it will be a case of year 7 waiting for new school to 'get to know' child and difficulties and preparing reports and evidence and then will be year 8 before statement request will be made, so worse case scenario year 9 before anything is in place

Becaroooo Wed 05-Oct-11 11:31:21

Sigh.

Went to bed to sleep on it.

Got up angrier than I was yesterday.

E mailed the HT <<I know, pointless!>> to clarify that ds1 has in fact been dx as dyslexic by the EP.

Also said that PP will attend any future meeting with me.

The school will block any attempt for me to get a statment...she told me yesterday he doesnt meet the criteria (I am not sure this is true)

Isnt there a bit in the SENCOP that states children have to make "adequate progress" i.e. 2 sub levels per year?

They are saying ds1 wont get 1-1 as the SENco is on long term sick leave but it didnt happen when she was there last term either!!

He has been at this school since Nov last year and has gone up 1 sub level in reading, 1 in maths and none in writing.

As far as they are concerned they are happy with his progress. hmm

Will post the e mail I sent.............

Becaroooo Wed 05-Oct-11 11:43:25

e mail to HT:

Dear HT,

I am writing to clarify that ds1 has indeed been diagnosed with dyslexia by Mrs * (Ed Psych). There seemed to be some confusion yesterday. I e-mailed ICPS and their reply states;
" In ds1's case, Mrs *'s report confirms that ds1 has dyslexia".

I hope this is satisfactory.

I was very shocked at the hostility I encountered yesterday for daring to disagree with some aspects of a professional's opinion and that I had the temerity to express those doubts to you.

I do not have a PGCE of course, but as for my qualifications, I have been ds1's mum for nearly 8.5 years and I feel that gives me a fair insight into his problems and needs.

Your school cannot provide the 1-1 my son needs (as stated in Mrs *'s report). I can. And will.

In future meetings I will be asking Parent Partnership to attend with me. Hopefully that will keep any future meetings on a more polite and respectful level.

Regards,

IndigoBell Wed 05-Oct-11 11:49:28

I think this email is fine.

Doesn't solve any of your problems though sad

Becaroooo Wed 05-Oct-11 11:50:50

Nope sad

wasuup3000 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:24:45

Quote the law

"The 1996 Education Act says:
“ The governing body…shall…use their best endeavours…to secure that, if any registered pupil has special educational needs, the special educational provision which his learning difficulty calls for is made.”
(Section 317 (1)(a))
“The Secretary of State shall issue…a code of practice giving practical guidance in respect of the discharge by local education authorities and the governing bodies…of their functions under this Part of the Act. It shall be the duty of local education authorities, and such governing bodies…to have regard to the provisions of the code.”
(Section 313 (1) & (2))

Check out the advice sheets on IPSEA

wasuup3000 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:25:29

What the Code of Practice Says
“A child with special educational needs should have their needs met”
(Paragraph 1:5)
“LEAs, schools and settings (should) work together to ensure that any child&#8223;s special educational needs are identified early.”
(Paragraph 1:6)

Becaroooo Wed 05-Oct-11 12:32:53

thanks wassup but I dont see how it will help...the senco is on long term sick and she wasnt much cop anyway sad

the school say he cant have 1-1 as there is no one to provide it.

he is on a table with 5 other dc and the hlta sits on the table with them every morning. He also gets 20 x mins 3 x per week group phonics and they have said he will be joining the s&l group too ( no idea why - nothing wrong with his speech or language!)

sorry for typing - ds2 having a cuddle!

wasuup3000 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:36:30

The school have a legal duty they are breaking the law, complain to the governors and the LEA that is how it will help. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now