Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Xmas ideas for potential ASD child

(19 Posts)
ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Tue 04-Oct-11 11:54:09

Sorry, sorry I know its early blush but Im trying to be organised this year and in the vain hope of achieving that goal I thought I would try to pick some brains. DD is 3.7, non verbal and potentially has ASD. I wondered if anybody could give some ideas of what your DCs with similar problems enjoy playing with? Im a bit stuck for inspiration so any ideas gladly accepted. Thanks!!

saintlyjimjams Tue 04-Oct-11 11:59:41

I used to try too much at xmas. Now (ds1 aged 12, severely autistic) we keep it light and really look at ds1's interests and not buy too much (too overwhelming). One of his favourite presents ever was a book photos of our home town.

Other things that have worked include music blocks (not sure they're still made), scooter. Now we just buy surf stuff as that's what he likes doing and clothes (weirdly he likes new clothes). Of course when younger thomas tf tank engine stuff.

But I'd say don't go overboard ime it's too much and becomes overwhelming. It used to take ds1 10 days just to open the presents as he really couldn't cope.

saintlyjimjams Tue 04-Oct-11 11:59:55

Oh and spinny shiny lights.

Agnesdipesto Tue 04-Oct-11 12:15:21

DS doesn't really play (4.11) but he does like anything stimmy. So anything with buttons, lights, music or very obvious cause and effect. He likes marble runs and car garages with ramps. He likes flexi track from ELC - all our boys have loved this. They used to do other sets eg dinosaur and you get bits off ebay. Toy guitars and keyboards. Books where you can press the buttons.
I love melissa and doug toys eg the wooden puzzles and pattern block sets
He likes funny things eg those awful dancing toys eg snowmen that sing and wobble around. He thinks they are hilarious.
But mainly I just put the money towards a day out at a water park or saving up for centerparcs. He doesn't like presents, doesn't open them or play with them on the day so we prefer to just take him out somewhere he loves.
Nothing worse than family turning up with presents he doesn't open or touch.

wasuup3000 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:07:56

At that age my ds fav pressie was a rainmaker toy and a spinning top. ELC and Hawkins Bazzar ar e very good for touchy, feely, shiney old fashioned toys. Same suggestions as everyone else really, he loved a music keyboard, a handheld computer that you can carry about, magnadoodle, that tree thing that you can roll balls down that you push through a hole, as well.

suburbandream Tue 04-Oct-11 14:21:44

Another vote for Hawkins Bazaar here. One of DS2's favourite things is an egg-shaped light that gently changes colour. Also, those 70's style fibre-optic lights and lava lamps (there's a theme developing here smile). Like saintly, I try to keep it quite low-key as DS (now nearly 8) finds it all a bit overwhelming TBH

zzzzz Tue 04-Oct-11 15:17:08

That toy where the Elephant blows butterflies in the air [argos], trampoline, bike, loads of balloons, marble run, little cars and track, trains, dinosaurs, dolls house, electric piano [so you can remove the batteries], swimming lessons, riding lessons, slippers that look like paws, peppa pig junk, disco ball, bubble bath, pouring toys for the bath, dressing up [mine LOVES masks], dominoes, dice, spinning tops, special pj's or duvet......

I wish you hadn't mentioned Christmas I feel the panic rising grin

keepingupwiththejoneses Tue 04-Oct-11 15:49:17

ds3 5.4 is mad on dinosaurs, we have got him this and this. I can recommend trampoline great investment.

maryellenwalton Tue 04-Oct-11 16:34:25

After the penny finally dropping that ds1 (4.9) really doesn't want or need anything for entertainment other than his ipad/ the computer, I have decided to put a stop to buying toys or similar. He doesn't have any interest, and I have an awful feeling of deflation/ frustration when he doesn't want to open any presents and then discards them without even looking at them.

I guess it's all about managing my expectations...I wasn't able to see that giving him toys like his siblings was about my desires, not his. He couldn't give a stuff if it's Xmas, although, like Agnes' ds he does love the dancing/ singing tat, and we will take him round the garden centre to his heart's content so he'll get his fill!

Also as Agnes said, my new plan is to ask friends and relatives to chip in towards something like a legoland/ aquarium/ kew gardens pass so that he can have fun at the places he loves all year round!

But they're all pretty tight, so let's see grin

cansu Tue 04-Oct-11 16:52:56

A while back for ds1 aged 10 I decided to spend money on stuff to make him more comfy so bought blackout tent, massive beanbag sofa thing, new tv and dvd for his room, dvd's of old favourites etc. For dd (more interested in stuff) cbeebies characters dvds and loves talking characters of Upsy daisy etc. I also have bought her hawkins bazar style squidgys, and recently a dark den and torches to play with inside said thing (though haven't got this yet).

saintlyjimjams Tue 04-Oct-11 19:48:05

Agree with maryellen - although it took me a lot longer than her to stop buying toys in the hope ds1 might like them.

For his birthday he had a surf and was given money towards future surfs. Still not learning I picked up a skateboard and some haribo to wrap. He ate the haribo and 6 months later still hasn't looked at the skateboard. Loved his surfs though. smile

I think just focus on what you know your child likes, then get a few bits, and don't worry if it's not as much as you'd like to get. IYSWIM.

Agnesdipesto Tue 04-Oct-11 20:06:36

Oooh yes an annual pass
DS just discovered rollercoasters this year so thats an idea...
Sadly we're not near legoland

MrsMagnolia Tue 04-Oct-11 21:28:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Tue 04-Oct-11 22:12:33

Dd2 at that age liked:
Puzzles
Duplo
Tomy toys (the spinning musical thing)

I think a tent is a great idea, ikea do some great stuff including tents and swinging chirs ect.

bialystockandbloom Tue 04-Oct-11 22:32:16

Agree with loads on here. We got months of play from the Elefun game zzzz mentioned (the one where the elephant blows paper butterflies in the air to catch in nets). Squidgy, light-up, or musical stuff popular. Is he into painting/crafts? If so, finger paints, ink stamps etc.

An inspired friend gave him some soft swords last christmas when he was 3.5 - still loves them now. They were from poundland smile

If he's watched films, talking characters might be an idea (Toy Story a hit in this house).

Like agnes the singing bloody xmas reindeer/polar bear nonsense was massively popular. Ds particularly loved a polar bear singing George Michael Last Christmas hmm

We bought a bilibo last year, which was also v popular (actually too much so: he put everything he could find into it and spun it as fast as it would go, so bricks, blocks and plastic rubbish flew around the room endangering all around, and we eventually banned it on grounds of health & safety grin)

PipinJo Wed 05-Oct-11 05:52:45

PipinJo Wed 05-Oct-11 06:04:00

Marne Wed 05-Oct-11 13:51:39

pipinJo- i would buy him girls stuff if thats what he wants, i have to buy dd1 boys toys each year, i quite like it as i get fed up with all the girly toys.

I often buy things that will look good if they are not played with, so a wooden kitchen would look nice or a dolls house grin. We have a cupboard full of toys that hardly get played with (ben and holly's kingdom, Peppa pig, Sam ect..), last year dd1 wanted hotwheels so we got them and they were only played with on christmas day then dd1 returned to being glue to the pc sad.

squidworth Wed 05-Oct-11 17:02:19

My DS is 5, non verbal with limited interest I bought him www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40100253/
I go to pound land and buy junk so he has things to open and I don't have to waste hundred on toys he will never use. Family buy him premium bonds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now