Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS2 developed tic - should I be worried?

(5 Posts)
mrsbaffled Mon 03-Oct-11 12:09:16

Hello, my youngest DS2 (nearly 4) seems to have developed an (annoying) habit where he pulls his T shirt at the collar from the back over to the front. He does it several times a minute off and on throughout the day.

I am thinking it's a tic rather than his clothes just annoying him a bit because he's done it for 4 days now and has worn different tops each day.

Are tics always a problem? I am just a bit nervous as my dad had tourettes as a child (he grew out of it, but has OCD tendancies).

He does this things sometimes where he makes a loud yelping noise when he breathes in. He will do it often (like the shirt pulling) for a few days then stop. I ignore it so as not to reinforce it. I thought he was being silly, but now I am not so sure...

shaz298 Mon 03-Oct-11 12:26:24

HI, My DS ( age 6) has transient tics. He has one which he has for several weeks, sometimes longer and then it changes to something else. He has had a funny, eye one where he looked at everything out of the corner of his eye!. His current one is to cross his pinky finger under his ring finger on both hands ALL THE TIME!!.

Probably nothing to worry about ( google transient tics) , but if you are concerned speak to your Health Visitor or GP. xx

madwomanintheattic Mon 03-Oct-11 17:09:55

ds1 does the in-yelp-breathing thing on and off. fingers crossed i haven't heard it for a few months so it might have gone for good this time (he's 9).

i tend to worry about tics inwardly for weeks, and then they disappear, but will be looking up the transient tics thing too! (ds1 has no specific dx. he's just quirky... so far.)

mrsbaffled Mon 03-Oct-11 17:24:24

Hmm - thanks for the info about transient tics. I had no idea they were so common! I feel much happier now smile

razzdazz Mon 03-Oct-11 19:27:26

My daughter also develops different 'quirks' as I call them. We have gone from grinding teeth, to head nodding to hair pulling (she has bald patches). It is heartbreaking to watch as it gets much worse when she is anxious which is quite often. Her way of coping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now