Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Melatonin - tell me about please.

(4 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Sun 02-Oct-11 09:09:33

DS1 has been prescribed it and I am not sure what it is.

Dawndonna Sun 02-Oct-11 09:45:54

www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin-000315.htm
This might be useful.
I have two who have taken it. Dd2 will still use it on occasion, particularly if he's stressed and knows he'll have trouble sleeping. He rarely settles before 1am as it is, but he's 16.5 now, and he will just read or listen to music. Ds2 was also prescribed it. However, we found with her that she put on significant amounts of weight with it. She is 15 and has ADHD as well as various other things alongside her AS. She still doesn't sleep and unfortunately, she's not a go up to her bedroom and settle down to read person!
What we did find, with both of them, and on talking to others it seems common, is that you had to find the right time of the evening to take it. With ds2 it had to be between 7.-7.30. With Dd2 around 9. Earlier, or later and it just didn't seem to work at all.
Good luck.

TalesOfTheUnexpected Sun 02-Oct-11 12:53:18

Good link from Dawndonna

One of my sons was prescribed Melatonin. It was meant to help him go to sleep but I was told it wouldn't keep him asleep.

He wouldn't take it grin so unfortunately I can't comment further.

lec0rnsillk Sun 02-Oct-11 14:21:58

ds takes it. we were told that it's a natural hormone that some people lack. Apparently airline pilots take it to regulate their sleep patterns. It has made a massive difference for ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now