Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

blinking tics - question

(11 Posts)
nightcat Sat 01-Oct-11 16:52:24

Has anyone had any success with decreasing tics (blinking/winking type), if so, what helped?
I know of stress/anxiety, have been using vit Bs & Mg, just wondered if there is anything else worth trying?

moosemama Sat 01-Oct-11 20:54:27

Is it relatively new nightcat, or something that's been happening for a long time?

I only ask, because I was frantic about ds's last year, as they seemed to be getting a lot worse, but they diminished and eventually disappeared in-line with how his school related stress reduced.

They are back at the moment, albeit in a less exaggerated form, because he's been quite poorly this week, but now I know they're not a permanent fixture I'm more relaxed about them.

PS Thanks for your advice about ds's weightloss on my thread in health. They took samples to test for pathogens and enzymes, after examining him and finding out how painful his abdomen was and w should hopefully be getting the results this week.

nightcat Sat 01-Oct-11 21:16:50

Not that new, I realise that if he is under (even minor) pressure they seem to increase, it must be something to do with neurotransmitters, but of course neurotransmitters are not something you could easily investigate or supplement so I wondered if there are any other links to consider.

I hope the results are meaningful, always ask for a copy so you can re-visit if needed line by line, I often go back to my ds' copies if something new comes about.

moosemama Sat 01-Oct-11 21:47:55

My instant thoughts were much the same as yours, in that the Bs (particularly B12) and Magnesium seemed to be the most logical supplements. I did read somewhere that folic acid and zinc are considered useful.

This article is interesting wrt magnesium supplementation for tics]]. I know you are already doing that, but thought you might be interested anyway.

Found this book which looks interesting as well.

wigglybeezer Sat 01-Oct-11 22:52:46

That is very ineresting, Ds2 has been very twitchy recently and has not been eating as many of those foods as usual, he loves brazil nuts, always has done, maybe his body has been trying to tell him what to eat!

nightcat Sat 01-Oct-11 22:52:57

Interesting article, thank you moose.
I had thought maybe it was sugar as I noticed tics increase after i9cecream/yoghourt - but it could well be a dose of Ca unbalanced by Mg. We don't have much dairy, but he is quite sensitive to diet changes.
The book also looks interetsing, might consider that, but will try more Mg first.

nightcat Sat 01-Oct-11 22:55:02

I also noticed (as in the article) that Mg capsules are just too big and cause a sort of indigestion, so when using them, I open capsules and split them, tho haven't taken/given any for a while. I have Mg tissue salts, will use that first as they are nicer to take.

moosemama Sun 02-Oct-11 12:58:53

Nightcat, if the mg capsules are a problem, what about Epsom Salt baths? I know Dr Rosemary Waring (University of Birmingham) did a study on using them in children with autism and concluded that they were beneficial. I have considered trying

I think you have to be very careful with dosage though, as if wrong, it can cause imbalances with other minerals. Scroll down and read the bit under Accounts.

I know you can buy magnesium sprays and creams as well.

nightcat Sun 02-Oct-11 17:00:48

we have epsom salts, but my ds is now mostly into showers so they are sitting on the shelf in a big tub, might convert them into a spray grin

nightcat Sun 02-Oct-11 17:22:28

moose, I am becoming a bit of a perfectionist and as my ds started retained reflexes therapy recently and I have had more time to watch him (I am between jobs) I am focusing on doing something about them.

I wonder if anyone doing retained reflexes therapy also had any "side-effects" or was it all always onwards an upwards?

moosemama Sun 02-Oct-11 17:36:16

Might be worth starting a thread about whether anyone noticed any side effects with RRT, as there are a few people on here who've done it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now