Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Regressive behaviours when ill?

(11 Posts)
lisad123 Fri 30-Sep-11 16:01:45

I might over reacting slightly but since dd2 got ill earlier in the week, all her Asd signs are worse but also she's not making sense in her speech as much as she normally does. It feels like she's regressed about 9months sad hoping it's not going to get any worse and she picks up too sad

dolfrog Fri 30-Sep-11 16:21:56

lisad123

your DD2 has to run coping strategies to manage waht you term her ASD signs, and speech. All coping strategies are extra programs we have to run in our working memories, which is like the RAM of a computer, and has limited capacity. We all prioritise how we use out working memories subconsciously, and when we are ill or stressed coping with the illness or stress automatically takes priority over running any coping strategies we may require to use on a daily basis. So hopefully once over the illness your DD2 will be able to effectively run her coping strategies again.

Tota1Xaos Fri 30-Sep-11 16:44:06

Agree with Dolfrog. at around your DD's age, DS's behaviour and echolalia temporarily got worse when he was poorly.

LunarRose Fri 30-Sep-11 16:47:13

My DS son does this, can be something as simple as falling over that causes it. He also goes completely silent. for him is blanket and space he needs at that time.

Try not to worry too much he returns to "normal" as soon as he feel better
smile

ArthurPewty Fri 30-Sep-11 17:58:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123 Fri 30-Sep-11 18:01:40

Thanks. Her is worse, her terrible language, flapping, and screeching is back. It's mainly her speech that's bugging me, I can't understand her sad

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 30-Sep-11 18:06:14

Definitely relate to this one. DS2 struggles to cope with the world when he's poorly, everything regresses and he takes a long time to get back up to speed. But he does always get back up there in the end.

coff33pot Fri 30-Sep-11 23:03:34

DS starts off full scale OTT at the start of illness but then shuts down as if he has cocooned himself in his world and doesnt move from the sofa. What does tend to come back worse are his ticks, eyes and throat clearing and funny faces.

Dawndonna Sat 01-Oct-11 11:05:07

My ds is sixteen, he still goes back to those behaviours when he's poorly. Think it's a comfort thing. I wouldn't worry too much. Things improve as he does.

Dawndonna Sat 01-Oct-11 11:05:51

ps. The Hubby does it too. We called a 'code green' on Thursday, yes, I'm married to Sheldon Cooper!
smile

moosemama Sat 01-Oct-11 12:30:24

Ds1 always regresses when he's ill. He's been off all week with a fluey type virus and his facial and vocal tics, insomnia, absences, night terrors all came back before he even showed his first symptom. He has been extremely hard to reach this week too and there's been some flapping and spinning as well (which is something he only does if he is really over-stressed or distressed).

He's much better now in terms of the virus, but I know from experience it will take a few weeks for all the ASD stuff to fade again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now