Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Private Ed Psych reports, where do you get a private one from?

(14 Posts)
tranquilitygardens Wed 28-Sep-11 20:51:49

Also, do you know roughly how much they cost?

Many thanks

Minx179 Wed 28-Sep-11 23:46:40

You can find a psychologist here You need to make sure you find one who specialises in children.

BPS cannot recommend a psychologist to you. You could state your county on here and ask for recommendations from others.

I paid £250 for an assessment and report, but that was nine years ago, probably a lot more expensive now.

devientenigma Thu 29-Sep-11 15:56:28

I tried to find an ed psyc privately and no one wanted to help!! They were not prepared to take my money!! sad

tranquilitygardens Thu 29-Sep-11 17:14:50

Devien, blimey! I was wondering if getting private Ed Psychi and private OT would help the children with school etc, sounds to me like this is going to be a waste of time.

IndigoBell Thu 29-Sep-11 17:18:25

OP - what do you want an EP report for?

A lot of EP reports are a total waste of time. Some people on here have had good experiences of them - I certainly haven't.

So, what are your concerns, and what do you expect the EP report to help you with?

tranquilitygardens Thu 29-Sep-11 17:25:36

My children have a physical condition and some emotional one's due to the physical condition which is common with the syndrome. There are also proprioception issues, I think undiagnosed dyslexia in one of the children, she was tested two years ago and borderline, not quite dyslexic. There are word tracking issues. One has school refusal anxiety issues.

I thought it may help the school, make school better for them, by meeting their needs more, was going to get an ot as well, regarding writing pain, carrying books etc...

Becaroooo Thu 29-Sep-11 17:53:36

Have just spent £600 on a private EP Report and ds1 is (as I have long suspected) dyslexic.

Not sure if the report will make any difference wrt help from school but its important to me to have it in black and white and that future schools/teachers make appropriate interventions for him.

I just googled EP and looked for one near me!

devientenigma Thu 29-Sep-11 19:39:34

Hi Tranq I'm on my way out now on ds night time routine, so just quickly say, he's a school refuser also, been out of school over a year. It's this the privates didn't want to touch. HTH.

tranquilitygardens Thu 29-Sep-11 20:09:04

Devient, thanks for the response, can you please tell me what happens regarding the school refusal?

I am getting questioned by the educational welfare, thought I would pre empt things after all the threats last time, of fines, courts/prison etc... in a way that is leading to it being my fault in some kind of way, they are ignoring the physical condition dd has, and they are totally going hell for leather for the emotional stuff, apparently it is also my fault that the gp has not managed to get camhs appoimtent despite me asking for about a year due to school refusal!

The person who is insisting on dealing with the issue at school is a nasty piece of work, who I had a run in two years ago with the oldest, and has done something else to me and oldest at the end of last year when I for the second time needed to have contact with that school. He is blocking me again, this time from speaking to anyone else and I don't want to deal with him, he is bad news! I actually was so concerned about him I made a point of telling my kids to ensure they were never left a lone in a room with him, and have never said that about any other teacher, he is setting off abusive man radar big time!

So a week tomorrow and as the school is an academy now and the school and the ed welfare are doing nothing.... I can see this all causing a bomb to go off, and me being blamed!

I am in a very vounerable position, a single parent (abusive ex not on scene and would love to help them destroy me if he got the chance) and I have physical disability and anxiety and depression at times, related to the hell that I had to live for a few yeas with ex and my health problems.

devientenigma Thu 29-Sep-11 23:13:32

Hi Tranq,

In some areas you can refer yourself to CAMHS they have a website here

I would also ask for a meeting with ED welfare and ed psyc. I would also find out who is head of education and contact them, even by email or post. I would got to parent partnership or 1st call or equivalent for help. Even the likes of Contact a family etc go anywhere for advice.

Is your dc statemented? is dc in special school or mainstream?

If it's mainstream I would consider a change of school. If not statemented maybe it's whats needed.

Hope this helps.

devientenigma Thu 29-Sep-11 23:18:05

also try this , there are other links on there with advice.

tranquilitygardens Thu 29-Sep-11 23:24:13

Not statemented, mainstreem, we are going to move out of the area soon anyways, not my choice, needs must and all that.

How do I go about getting her statemented, as no psych diagnosis, only a physical diagnosis?

Nigel1 Thu 29-Sep-11 23:27:37

tranquilitygardens Thu 29-Sep-11 23:27:58

All that link you gave me is a big list of control and punishment for the parent, worded very carefully to look very differently.

I will have to make alternative arangements tomorrow if she doesn't go to school tomorrow, I am not having people control me like that, had enough of that with the ex.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: