Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Got a decent statement - thanks for support here in past

(7 Posts)
Mumfun Wed 28-Sep-11 17:18:47

We got offered 25 hours per week for DS (age 7 AS). Everyone told us we would get 15 hours.

So very pleased. Havent had chance to go through stuff with Parent Partnership guy so not sure if there are any drawbacks to Statement I havent noticed as a complete novice.

Very very shocked as our London borough does not have a good reputation. But the EP was excellent and very supportive and the school was fab too.

SO many thanks to folk on here who helped me from 4 years ago when the school first said to us they felt there was a problem.

justaboutstillhere Wed 28-Sep-11 18:40:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Financialworryontop Wed 28-Sep-11 18:45:22

4 years?!?!

Is that the normal length of time?

Financialworryontop Wed 28-Sep-11 18:45:46

Sorry should say - congratulations on getting your extra time.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 28-Sep-11 19:04:42

Mumfun,

Well done for 25 hours.

However, I would ask one of the independent organisations out there (e.g IPSEA or ACE or SOSSEN to name but three) about the wording in Parts 2 and 3 as these are the most important bits of this whole document. Read it to them as it is and they will tell you what it should say. You need indepedent advice, not just PP here (as they can tow the LEAs party line on such matters, not all PPs are totally independent of their LEA and often act closely with them).

At the very least support should be both specified and quantified; if it is not then it needs to be rejected.

Do not accept it without seeking outside advice initially to make sure the content is okay. If you accept it and the provision is subsequently not watertight then you are stuffed.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 28-Sep-11 19:05:31

If SALT is an area of concern, this ought to be in Part 2 as well as 3.

Mumfun Thu 29-Sep-11 11:53:49

Thanks all and good advice Attila -thanks!

And to clarify 4 years ago is when the school said to us first they had concerns. And then he was seen by an EP. And then we waited for a while as it wasnt clear because he wasnt quite mature enough to assess. And when we asked for assessment by CAMHS that took I think 7 months to come through. And I asked for assessment for a Statement by the council in June -so the Statementing has not taken long. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now