Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Nappies!!!

(11 Posts)
lisad123 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:07:24

Sadly dd2 now meets the age of being allowed council funded nappies.
I have been told we are only allowed pull ups for one month, and then we have to go back to nappies sad
I really don't want to put her in nappies, we are trying so hard to train her, it feels like a step backwards.
Also just read paperwork and I have to call them everytime I need another delivery, so nothing sent regularly! I know it's only a small thing but it's something else I have to remember and I could do without.

Think I'm having a bad day and still feeling a little tender from small procedure I had, so not getting much done sad

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 27-Sep-11 12:40:52

brew lisa, seems to be the way things are unfortunately, you could always try a letter to the pct reminding them that blanket policies aren't allowed. Hope you're feeling better soon, take it easy or it'll take longer to recover, look after yourself.

willowthecat Tue 27-Sep-11 12:45:46

If you think you are close (ish) to success, you can get cloth pull ups in boots that are easy to wash and i think they are better for training anyway

bigbluebus Tue 27-Sep-11 12:46:42

Its typical - just when you think you've qualified for something - it turns out the 'free' product is not what you really wanted. I know other parents who have had to fight to get pull-ups but PCT's are reluctant as they are more expensive than nappies. Very short sighted of PCT's as our PCT actually admitted a few years ago that something like 70% of children they were providing continence products to could actually be toilet trained - but weren't because of lack of paed continence advisors and obviously appropriate products which would make it possible for the child - so in the long run more expensive to supply nappies where it is likely the child can be trained.
And as for having to phone up and place and order - well just don't get me started on that one. Used to get a box every 4 weeks - then system changed to delivery every 12 weeks but only of you ring and order 2 weeks before delivery. Of course I don't have any problem remembering to do that as I sit with my feet up doing nothing all day!!!! And as for having to store 12 weeks supply........
Hope you are feeling better soon

lisad123 Tue 27-Sep-11 15:11:17

12 weeks worth!! shock not sure how many are arriving tomorrow!

lisad123 Tue 27-Sep-11 15:26:20

aggrrr just called them!!
I am getting 12 weeks worth of NAPPIES!! I asked for pull ups!
called HV who was very grumpy with me and said its not her problem hmm that she has requested pull ups and so nothing more she can do sad

I give up now, im too tired so sod it.

bigbluebus Tue 27-Sep-11 17:25:26

Thats a cop out by the health visitor IMO. Is there a continence advisor in your area employed by the PCT who you could speak to? We have them in our area although they are not specifically paediatric trained but as my DD is at SN school, we deal with school nurse instead.
Good luck with finding space for 12 weeks supply - I doubt they'll budge on that one - it will probably be standard for everyone. DD has a 'hospital' bed which goes up and down - only it can't go down due to the nappy boxes stored under it!!! Luckily we are both tall - but that is not the case for some of the respite workers who come in to the house!!!
Interestingly continence services is one of 8 services which has been identified by Dept of Health as a possible for being outsourced to 'Any Qualified Provider' by PCT's. They are supposed to be consulting on which 3 of the 8 services they should offer out to AQP's first - the consultation closes 30th Sept - but so far we have not been able to find anyone within our PCT who is carrying out a public consultation. It would be hard for our existing service to get any worse - but I won't hold my breath for any improvements if it is outsourced.

graciousenid Tue 27-Sep-11 17:30:39

yeah 12 weeks is standard I think (we store them in the loft!), there's no option of pull ups here sad

LegoLady95 Tue 27-Sep-11 17:32:58

We get 12 weeks here and no choice but to have nappies.

wraith Wed 28-Sep-11 02:46:08

12 weeks and have to buy more 4 per day isnt enough, also

it works out at about 300-330 brand dependent 26-32 in a pack pack equals week x12 312 -344....

starfishmummy Wed 28-Sep-11 09:13:42

THe delivery periods are fairly standard I think, and we have to do a ring and request - it saves them money by not delivering stuff that is not needed or by hturning up and not finding you in.

You should be able to request samples of their different products and sizes - via the HV, school nurse or continence team; which will give you an idea of what is available. If your HV cant do this then find out which supplier the PCT uses, have a look on their website and ring up and ask for samples directly - most of them also sell direct to the public and will send them out to you if they think you might start buying some.

Also you should ask whether there are arrangements for you to purchase more products at cost via local clinics - we can do this, it's a bit of a rigmarole but once DS was too big for standard baby products it has been very useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now