Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Someone please tell me enoughs enough

(12 Posts)
lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 14:07:21

Hi all,
How much time daily is enough to be working with 6.5?
I work FT and only get home at 6. Im trying to cram too much in and im losing the will to go on with it all (and so is DS). Trying to get DS to bed for 8pm too so hes not too tired for school. DH is away during the week so its just me.
We are working on RRT, Vision therapy and bear neccesseties daily.
DS has DCD (dyspraxia) and is struggling with school.
I dont want to drop anything because im so worried about how behind he is. Im terrible at prioritising.

Someone please give me a boot in the backside and tell me enoughs enough!

Rant over.
Thanks all for listening.

lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 14:08:03

oh yes, and its not what we have to do that takes the most time, its bribing DS into doing it that takes longer!

IndigoBell Mon 26-Sep-11 14:52:10

Really, don't do so much that you're getting stressed. It just makes him stressed and it all worse.

The most you can do is 1 thing (10 mins) before school, and 1 thing (10 mins) after school, and 1 thing (10 mins) in the evening.

That is the most! He may not even have a 10 min concentration span at his age. 5 mins may be more appropriate. But def stop when he is tired - or preferably just before.

If you work and can't do anything after school, then you're only going to be able to do 10 mins with him before school and in the evening.

(What childcare do you use after school?)

Can you do the RRT & VT before school, and bear neccesseties in the evening? It's better to just do 1 page a day and not get too stressed, then to aim for 2 pages and end up yelling at him (talking from personal experience here blush)

How's bear neccesseties going?

WilsonFrickett Mon 26-Sep-11 14:54:29

'bare necessities' every day but in terms of daily living, not something 'extra'. So work on something like getting dressed when it's getting dressed time IYSWIM.

8pm bedtime is absolutely right, don't think about extending it as next day will be horrible and you won't get anything extra done in the time anyway as DS will be tired and grumpy.

RRT and Vision therapy - one each a day for 10 minutes, followed by treat eg screen time. Always feed before therapy smile or you won't get anywhere. Build up slowly.

So, at the moment, something like snack, homework, 10 mins therapy then treat, dinner, bed. Thats enough (in my book anyway)

WilsonFrickett Mon 26-Sep-11 14:56:02

Sorry, didn't realise bear necessities was a 'thing' thought you meant 'teaching him bare necessities type activities' blush

dolfrog Mon 26-Sep-11 14:58:41

Can you make your job more flexiable to match your DSs needs

Tota1Xaos Mon 26-Sep-11 18:51:31

I am not familiar with any of these interventions, so apols if this is a stupid question, but would doing them every other day instead of every day be that detrimental?

justaboutstillhere Mon 26-Sep-11 19:07:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 19:11:38

Thanks guys for all your advice.

Just having one of those days where you wonder if all this hard work we are doing is doing any good or not sad I seem to be constantly battling with DS to do anything at all at the moment.

Taking all of above on board. Heres the plan:

1. I am going to get up at 6:00 instead of 6:30 and do the RRT exercises in the morning. (they are the worst as DS for some reason hates doing these!)
I have to drop DS off at childminders at 7:30 to get to work on time. We are not morning people lol so doubt we could do VT aswell.
2. Homework is going to be done at childminders. I am a control freak but I pledge that, I WILL NOT go over his homework just to make sure it has been done properly.
3. Vision Therapy exercises at 6pm as soon as we get in through the door followed by reading an easy book.
4. Will change bedtime to 7:30 to compensate for getting up earlier.

I am off one day a week (I cant finish earlier 5 days instead of 4 full days as I can never get away from the place on time and dont get paid if I stay on)

I am going to reduce the Bear Neccesseties to 3 days a week (my day off and sat and sun).
Indigo, do you think it will still be ok only 3 times a week? (obviously it will take longer to get through) I am very impressed with it btw. The notched card is working wonders! I think it works so well for DS as he relies on pics in books to much and guesses too much, whereas he cannot guess any words. I also found piper books very good as the it is very repetitive and he also cannot quess after book 9.

Thanks everyone smile

IndigoBell Mon 26-Sep-11 20:28:03

Cutting down BN to 3 days a week sounds like a good idea.

There really is only so much you can do in 1 day. I think your plan sounds good.

WilsonFrickett Mon 26-Sep-11 20:28:25

Pleeeeeeeeeeese can you build in one evening a week for drinking wine and watching Downtown Abbey? (or whatever floats your particular boat...) - you need a little bit of me time too x

lifesamerrygoround Mon 26-Sep-11 21:26:01

Indigo - Thanks, you are right. There really is only so much we can do. I feel these past months the fun has gone. Every night its a chore and I miss my time with DS. I hope I stick with this plan so we can have a bit of fun back smile
Wilson - My aim for a Thursday evening is - Bath, tv, mumsnet of course and NO HOUSEWORK
Do get a break a wee at weekend. Cant get Ds to bed quick enough on a Sat and Sun at moment to watch x factor. lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now