Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Voice recognition software for VI/CP

(7 Posts)
JackandJillwentupthehill Sat 24-Sep-11 22:46:00

Does anyone have any experience with voice recognition software for their dc at school? DS has fine motor skill problems and mild visual impairment, so writing is difficult. school have been trying typing with him, but in my experience this is very slow for him. He is in yr5 now and I'm wondering if this would be more helpful, but don't know anyone who has used it and have read mixed reviews on the Internet.

Davros Sun 25-Sep-11 10:17:27

I don't have any experience but you might find it useful to look up an organisation called Communication Matters based in Oxford. They have always been at the forefront of VOCAs but may also know about voice recognition.

silverfrog Sun 25-Sep-11 10:22:31

my dsd (mild AS, dyslexia, dyspraxia) was recommended Dragon software by her support tutor at university.

I haven't looked at it myself, but it seemed to get her through essay writing etc ok.

you might want to put a call out for a poster called wannabe. she has a visual impairment, although I don't know whether she uses voice recognition software - but she might know where to look for it?

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Sun 25-Sep-11 13:08:04

I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking software as I have arm problems. It is really clever and once you have "trained" it, it really does work. He would probably need to wear a head set with a microphone though esp in class due to the background noise. When you train it you have to read lots of passages. There are various ones - I chose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to train mine blush - is he able to read from a screen with her VI as it helps it to learn the accent?

JackandJillwentupthehill Sun 25-Sep-11 23:02:05

Thanks v much. He could read from a screen, albeit slowly, so will give it a try at home. Not sure how keen school will be, so would like to try it at home first!!

totallyyours Fri 30-Sep-11 17:28:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

lisad123 Fri 30-Sep-11 18:04:48

I had this when I worked for SS. It was so hard to work and never got hang of it. Sometimes it took longer to do voice stuff sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now