Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I overeacting and worrying too much - advice

(7 Posts)
Anna85 Sat 24-Sep-11 11:59:49

My DS is 5 and currently in Year 1. DS has HFA and ADHD and we are currently going throught Statutory Assessment.

School for my DS is difficult in terms of learning etc. Socially he has improved with is brilliant.

I tend to want to know daily how my DS is doing and will often ask the teacher how he has been etc but I get the impression I get on their nerves.

Am I just worrying too much about him to be so concerned? He is so behind his peers as well academically!

Also yesterday when took DS to swimming lesson I was changing him and I could smell poo and when I pulled his pants down all dried bits of poo fell out so obviously telling them he needs help hasnt got thorugh to them! But another parent reckons I over react and shouldn't say anything.

All advice greatly appreciated!

cornsillx Sat 24-Sep-11 12:02:23

could you ask the teacher for a home/school diary perhaps? Ignore the other parent.

Anna85 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:06:05

He has a home-school book which I have started myself but they are not that good on completing it!!

My opinion is that if your child ha SEN you want to make sure they are okay etc and DS doesn;t seem that good at communicating!! I feel I am a pain!

cornsillx Sat 24-Sep-11 12:17:58

grrrr at not writing in the home/school record! Have you written in the home school record about the soiling? Give it another few weeks and if they are still not recording anything then ask to see them to find out how the communication is going to happen. Sometimes teachers can be a bit hmm at parents wanting to speak to the teacher at home time unfortunately. You need to know if he has had a bad day for sure, so there needs to be something in place.

Anna85 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:37:25

The soiling has annoyed me as I have been in and said he needs help or at least reminding the clean himself up!! Also I have alreadt thrown away 5 stained tops as he is such a messy eater....and even came home with black marker pen all over his arms and face the other day!!

Perhaps I shouldn't ask so much :-/

vjg13 Sat 24-Sep-11 12:40:52

I agree with cornsillx and if there are no major events to concern you, give it a few more weeks. I would fill in the diary myself with information from home even if the teacher isn't. I would then arrange a meeting with the teacher if you aren't getting adequate information. It may be that the teacher would prefer email or phone contact rather than the end of day. IME you need to come across as firm but calm and reasonable.

Good luck with the SA and then you will be able to have formal measures in place to help you son.

cornsillx Sat 24-Sep-11 13:34:02

the black marker pen and messy tops is quite normal unfortunately!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now