Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

LAC (looked after child) and child benefit

(2 Posts)
kakool Fri 23-Sep-11 09:29:49

i have a daughter with autism.she is going to turn 15 end of this month.
she was moved to 52 weeks boarding school some 4 months ago.
when she was moved the authority wrote a letter to the benefit department and i no longer receive her child benefit.
The authority only pays for her education and boarding.
i am still responsible for all other expences.
example, Clothing according to weather, School Uniform,Toys
Toiletries .Pay for her hair cut when she is taken to barber, pocket money etc.
I thought child benefit was to help a parent with a child expences a bit.

also when she turns 16 next year, would she not get any money from govt as like any adult who does not work?

i would really appreciate your help to guide me

davidsotherhalf Fri 23-Sep-11 09:42:14

it depends on the school, you can't get child benefit, child tax credits etc for dd, they usualy get pocket money to pay for haircuts, clothes, toiletries,trips out, etc, it's £27 a week. not sure if parents provide pocket money or the school, can you phone school and ask?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: