Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does this sound like an ASD issue to you?

(7 Posts)
MotherJack Thu 22-Sep-11 21:27:45

I have posted this in Educational Special Needs - by mistake. I meant to post it in here. Can anyone please give me their experience as I would be really grateful for some input on this one.

My son presents as having Aspergers. Over this last week I have been made aware of him increasing his tendency to nip and grab hold of anyone sat near him. I have come to expect this of him, but the thing I find odd is that he genuinely has no recollection of doing it at all.

I have had another example today where he has no idea what he has done, but remembers what happened afterwards (i.e. he took his glasses off his face and snapped them in two in anger when the teacher helpfully made the whole class look at him).

Does this sound familiar, or is it something else? He has other neurological problems too, so quite honestly, I'm lost in all of this and feeling a bit lonely.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 22-Sep-11 21:43:06

How old is he?

Children with ASD can have absence episodes (similar to epilepsy), tics and also zoning out phases (coping strategy).

So it is possible. I'm not really much of an expert on these aspects though but didn't want your post to go unanswered.

I wouldn't say with confidence though, that it was nothing to do with ASD. ASD is a tricky one, but then so, I should imagine, are neurological problems.

coff33pot Thu 22-Sep-11 22:01:30

It is possible it is ASD related.....

DS zones out into his own fantasy world when anxious. When he comes out of it naturally he couldnt tell you what he was doing. Also he remembers being "told off" at school and he remembers that he has either hid or threw something. If on a meltdown at the end when he comes round he will be crying and need holding but if I mention a consequence for a behaviour he looks astonished and says but I havent done anything and you can tell his mind is thinking back but cant remember.

MotherJack Thu 22-Sep-11 22:11:07

Thank you Starlight. He is 6, 7 at the end of the year.

The neurological problems are all linked to the presentation of Aspergers as far as my research goes. The few children I know of with what he has also present with ASD so I think that the two are either linked or overlapping. Most of those that I know are ill in other ways too though, so it feels like I am bleating when I mention difficulties at school... and comparatively speaking, I am.

He does have huge zoning out phases which I have recognised as coping strategies (he shows it by making compulsive repetitive noises) and the school has yet to take on board what this actually means in terms of how they can handle him at the time. Is it possible he could be zoning out with physical movements? He is desperate to say that he has never done anything of the sort he is accused of.

MotherJack Thu 22-Sep-11 22:16:23

Coff33.... that's mostly it. That's what I often get. It's in what the school see as the most benign situations, even though I have asked them about proximity of others. So it's possibly their interpretation of what is "too close", not his, perhaps.

They have come up with a suggestion - not as punishment - but as a way of giving him space, to give him a desk on his own. The rest of the class sit together in tables, so my gut feeling is that this is awful.

I'm so lost. I see why people lose the will in all of this.

coff33pot Thu 22-Sep-11 22:43:24

The school put DS on a table on his own but they put it at the back and it was facing the wall which was really emphasising that he was different and also he couldnt see or interact with what the teacher was saying or doing even if he did decide he wanted to. So I would avoid this option.

The behaviour support did suggest (although not implemented) that he had a desk facing the class perhaps with another small desk oposite but with a small gap in between where another child sat facing. So it felt like he was included but had the option of a screen that the Ta could pull accross if he was too overwhelmed.

MotherJack Thu 22-Sep-11 22:51:14

I think that's the bit I hate the most - the fact that the area they are looking to put the desk in is close to the table where he needs to be in terms of current ability, but is facing away from them and the rest of the class. I will say this tomorrow. When they said it earlier I wasn't convinced but said I was happy for them to run it by him. From what they said later, he didn't sound overly keen. I said I felt that as he actively seeks out social interraction it could well be a Not Good thing. Very glad for your feedback on this, Coff33. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now